JK steering box

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Daris, the bevel box's are just 2 gears and don't wear out on a T25 so I very much they will suddenly die if used on a bay and it they do other bevel boxes are available, just more money hence the use of a T25 one.

Yes, I do have pics fitted and will post a thread up at some point next year as a little busy now with 2 bus projects and a new house.

I guess there just needs to be a little interest really, at under £200 for the plates and bits seems ok to me but not having looked into the costs (beyond the £115 for the core bits) the £80 for metalwork is an educated guess and I would assume based on sets of 10 at a time

I've bitten the bullet and ordered the JK one, I'll let you if it makes any improvement (it had better lol)

Why didn't I buy my bus years ago !?

What parts wear out in the boxes? Is it just the worm and peg?, or are more parts involved?

I would be interested in the extra metalwork for £80 as I've already bought the other bits from Matt. Keen to get this done so a "how to" would also be a great idea. It looks like a much cheaper fix than a lot of the alternatives. :D

marco said:
What parts wear out in the boxes? Is it just the worm and peg?, or are more parts involved?

the bearing on mine was completely shot and the clunk in the steering wheel when turning past mid point was due to the (whateveritscalled) main shaft wobbling in its bearing. could visably see the shaft moving. apparently can press in a new one in but i didnt have the time for the garage to do (berks motor engineers) so ordered a JK one.

it arrived nice and clean, repainted in black and a light layer of grease. i'm guessing its grease filled. its been fine though. did a couple of thousand miles on it this summer

like others stated, it comes from megabug

BrotherNumberOne said:
It's worth noting that you can now get some of the internals through Heritage via the 'Classic parts' range although you need the part numbers I think. Might now be worth reconning you own box rather than paying someone else £500 to do it.:)
I've inputted the relevant steering box part numbers into Heritage's Classic Parts finder and none of the worm or peg parts, LHD and RHD, come up. This further underlines the question as to what the "re-conditioned" boxes consist of.

Weeboll, when you say the bearing was shot, which one? Early boxes have loose ball bearings which you can replace either end of the worm, the worm race's are probably obtainable and the peg is held in to the arm with loose needle bearings (again something you should be able to obtain).
The main arm runs in a bush in the cast body.

Was it not that the peg was worn or the worm or both?

"I've inputted the relevant steering box part numbers into Heritage's Classic Parts finder and none of the worm or peg parts, LHD and RHD, come up. This further underlines the question as to what the "re-conditioned" boxes consist of."

STEERING WORM £72.05

211415205D
STEERING WORM £103.32

These bits?

BrotherNumberOne said:
"I've inputted the relevant steering box part numbers into Heritage's Classic Parts finder and none of the worm or peg parts, LHD and RHD, come up. This further underlines the question as to what the "re-conditioned" boxes consist of."

STEERING WORM £72.05

211415205D
STEERING WORM £103.32

These bits?
Split Bus part numbers!

Been busy with customer buses so am still waiting to fit the late bay box to my own bus and then we will be offering a drive in/ drive out service. Hoping to get this sorted in the next couple of weeks.

Recon boxes filled with grease are rubbish and as has been pointed out the grease doesn't flow and lubricate the parts like oil is supposed to. We' ll be using steering box lube in the boxes we fit, it's not as thick as grease and is more of an oil based lubricant. Also we questioned what recon parts were fitted and no one could ever tell us as the parts are simply not available ( unless someone can tell me different)

The issue with the t25 bevel box for rack conversations is that they are already hard to get hold of and as far as I'm aware you can only get second hand ones. Personally I'm not convinced with using a rascal rack, this was a vehicle that only weighted less than a tonne and had tiny wheels on it (I know as I bought one when I ran a company years ago and the driver kept rolling it going around the roundabouts at the NEC and with a couple of you could get the thing back on its wheels).

The rack conversion we developed with valley gas used a hot rodrack from the states more up to the job but it worked out expensive and that's why we stopped offering it as people were not prepared to spend the money.

The other rack that has been used is an Astra mk111 which I think moler used on his jet rocket bus.

stupid question alert!!! :oops: :oops:

how do you fill the steering box up with oil?? :roll:

sharky71 said:
stupid question alert!!! :oops: :oops:

how do you fill the steering box up with oil?? :roll:

:lol: :lol: with great difficulty when it's in situ, if you think that's hard try filling it with steering lube, impossible whilst on the bus.

There's a little removable plug on top of the box, usually red that's where you fill it up

Edit...sparky beat me to it, must learn to type faster on the ipad :lol:

sparkywig said:
The trouble is though Trikky, that quite a few of the members on here aren't of the age where they'd have one of these bottles in the garage.

I thought they were still on sale :lol:

Latest posts