just kampers T2 '71 locking petrol cap problem

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jollatine

Reaction score
Help!!! Locking Petrol Cap (Stainless Steel) for VW T2 Bay 1967-1971
JK Part Number: J17005 OEM Part Number: 211-201-551/C

I splashed out the £37 for this and now I am stranded. After unlocking it keeps spinning so I cant get the cap off to fill the engine. Anyone have a solution?? its not the first sh** petrol cap I have bought, so I'm not a happy person

Ah its' not just me then! I can't get my "lockable" cap to lock without 5 mins of fiddling about at the pump :x

It's not just JK cos my cap came from GermanCamperCompany - and this is the second one after the first one went back because it fell to bits :roll:

yes, me too. The first one I bought was from Mega bug and cost £20. The locking bit fell to bit before I approached the van. This one took a bit of fiddling the first couple of times when filling up and I suspected danger. JK emailed me this morning and said:

"sometimes after Unlocking the Cap, it may take a number of turns for the cap to engage the mechanism to remove the cap. If you are still having an issue with removing it, it will need to be prized off and returned to us."

These parts are clearly touch and go.

I've had one for a couple of years and - touch wood - it has only let me down once at a petrol station when it just would not budge for what seemed like an age.

It was fairly new then, and has gradually got smoother with use.

I still have that sense that it will fail at a crucial moment though.

I just keep my tank about half full, worst case they nick about 40quids worth

Not sure I get the logic of spending 37 quid protecting max about 70 quid of fuel, spent my money on a fire extinguisher............if they nick the fuel,it reduces the chance of a fire :lol:

mrs hoskins said:
I just keep my tank about half full, worst case they nick about 40quids worth

Not sure I get the logic of spending 37 quid protecting max about 70 quid of fuel, spent my money on a fire extinguisher............if they nick the fuel,it reduces the chance of a fire :lol:

Fair point, but I am more concerned about the dick heads who think it fun to drop a match in the tank when me and missus are kipping inside the bus. They are more than welcome to syphon it off. :cry:

Good point, hadn't thought about idiots torching it , where do u camp, Tottenham ?? just get the missus to sleep on that side.......worst case , I'd have to do my own breakfast

mrs hoskins said:
Good point, hadn't thought about idiots torching it , where do u camp, Tottenham ?? just get the missus to sleep on that side.......worst case , I'd have to do my own breakfast

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I had a locking one on mine when I bought it that also broke, so was just spinning. Turns out you can get your fingers behind it, and if your grip is strong enough / it hasn't been put on too tightly, you can just turn it by holding that part that actually screws onto the filler neck.

Kind of defeated the object of having a locking one in my eyes regardless of whether the lock worked or not...

Latest posts