Just sheared my steering column horn spade connector grrr

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharman

Reaction score
My steering coupling was shot, so started to replace. In the process of doing this I've managed to shear the steering column spade connector while wrestling with the floor cover plate.I know it's riveted on and how it works.
Does anyone know if you can get replacements or the best fix? I've seen some attempts at drilling another hole through the floor, poking the horn cable through and jubilee clipping it to the steering column :shock: No disrespect, but it does look a bit of a bodge :msn4:
Any help much appreciated during this very stressful time!

I did the same, I took the column apart and made a new one, pop riveted it on job done.

Agreed, the design is dreadful and is a botch. These vehicles were built down to a price.

On the other hand, the botch has lasted a lot longer than the expected service life of the vehicle and will last even longer if un disturbed or treated with care :lol:

Seriously though, its an easy fix. You can weld or even rivet on a new tab quite easily. Add a smear of Vaseline or grease to protect against corrosion when you re assemble.

Ps. Check the plastic insulating ring on th bottom of the column is still ok and take care installing it too. :)

Take care a rivet doesnt stick through too much and touch the steering shaft.
I struggled with mine but ended up getting a replacement tube from fbi it was complete with the plastic base bush,was cheap too

vwvanman0 said:
Take care a rivet doesnt stick through too much and touch the steering shaft.
I struggled with mine but ended up getting a replacement tube from fbi it was complete with the plastic base bush,was cheap too
Should not matter if it touches the shaft, both inner and outer columns are 12v as they are connected by the bearing at the top of the column. The outer column is insulated from the rest of the bus by a rubber donut and the ground is a separate wire running through the centre of the inner column connected to the other side of the steering coupler.

Dismantled my column 2-3 times to work it out correctly, my horn kept going off randomly so spent a while trying to solve it. Issue actually turns out to be metal keyrings grounding out on scratches in the outer column

These look maybe similar?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-Pop-rivet-earth-terminals-cars-vans-Land-Rovers-/380186089355" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HTH
Will

I just used a spade connector cut from a normal wiring one. Cut just the spade, drilled a hole and used a regular rivet through the existing hole in the column. I tried to solder but it wasn't happening so just went for the quick fix :)

Latest posts