Horn and indicator help please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodgins

Reaction score

Tucked up under there in the tightest to access part, is a small brown wire which I pulled off accidentally as I thought it was the horn wire going right through the steering column. I now know it doesn't go through there.... I have smallish hands and my fingers just about reach in the gap. Can the plate (next photo) come off to give access from above that joint, or is it a case of entire steering column off?

I have the typical horn going off when turning right problem. I've disconnected the horn underneath for now. But now I have also lost high beam.

I have also bought a new turn signal switch as the other jammed and then would no longer work. The new one stays on but doesn't cancel off again. I can hear the wotsit clicking as I turn so it should be? It worked before on the old one before it jammed up.

Does it have anything to do with these bits of plastic that have fallen out of the steering area and I found on the floor?

Thanks for any help :)

There are supposed to be two wires in that steering donut area of your first pic: one is the brown one running up the column to the horn button. It is connected to a ring connector on one of the donut bolts that is connected to the steering box. This is chassis ground, more or less.

The other wire runs from the minus side of the horn to a 6mm tab on the bottom of the steering column itself. If you ground this one, or pretty much any part of the steering column, the horn will sound (mine needs ignition on as well).

The cover in your second pic is plastic. It's what keeps the steering column electrically isolated from the bus floor.
It can be removed, but only with the steering column I think.
It's not difficult: once the steering wheel is off, lock disengaged, and the column is released from the bracket under the dash, you can lift enough to reach the donut bolts, which might be enough for what you need to do.

The plastic parts in your third pic don't look like I remember on mine, so I won't comment :?
But there are several important plastic or rubber insulating pieces to keep the steering column isolated from the dash bracket and from the floor.

Indicator cancelling was an issue on mine due to misalignment between the metal tab attached to the bottom of the steering wheel boss and the springy levers of the indicator switch. Maybe "the horn going off when turning right" is also caused by misalignment of that tab? It's connected to "horn minus", so if it catches on anything grounded inside and around the indicator switch, the horn will sound.

Also, be careful disconnecting the horn: one of the wires is (ignition) live and may affect other circuits or blow a fuse if grounded by accident.

HTH
Rob

The column cover plate is held to the column tube with a plastic clamping ring, which is usually destroyed if removing the cover plate by itself is attempted.
The wire below can usually be reconnected using long-nose (or better yet, long-curved-nose) pliers or similar tool (forceps?).
The unknown plastic pieces you show are (left) the door lock assembly dust cover, and (right) the insulating ring that goes between steering column tube
and the steering lock, as shown in Fig. 9-12 of Front Axle chapter in your Bentley manual.

Your hand will only ache for a day, but you can get that wire on with a bit more effort - just take it as another lesson on the need for careful disassembly....

I should probably mention it's an American import too so the wiring is a bit different? It was manufactured around oct 1969.

Thanks for the info so far, keep it coming. And no the indicators are still not working, and neither is the horn or high beams.....yay

Bluesnailman said:
Your hand will only ache for a day, but you can get that wire on with a bit more effort - just take it as another lesson on the need for careful disassembly....

I dunno, the big gouge might last a bit longer :lol:

Latest posts