Just when you think you’re done - new noise. Transmission?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sannabay

Reaction score
After getting an advisory free mot for the first time! I get a new and worrying noise. Only apparent in 3rd and 4th there is a whine a bit like you get when reversing. Let off the power and it stops. I’ve read up a bit and in my opinion it is the ring and pinion.
Please, any thoughts on anything else it might be before I go getting a new box. I recently fitted new clutch cable and conduit. For a couple of days it had a beetle conduit on with a spacer but it would shudder severely if not nursed into 1st. did that wreck my gearbox?
Finally, where’s best to go to fix the box if that is the problem? And how long, or far can I go before it gets worse, and how bad can it get?

First things first,, when was the last time you topped up your gear box ?? and secondly ,, have you ever changed the oil in your box ?? New oil may be the way to go initially for what it costs :mrgreen: And thirdly,, it may be possible with all the comotion under your bus that you may have disturbed something trapped for years in the sediment of your gearbox oil.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, MMMMmmmm Oil :mrgreen:

That was my first thought. so i took the side plug out and stuck in my finger in, that came out dry so I rushed out and bought oil. loads came out though when I opened the drain plug so i recon i was just short of the level with my finger. I filled it up with new oil and have thought about changing that a couple of weeks down the line. Interestingly though the sump plug didn't seem to be magnetic as i thought it was, so no crap on it that could tell me what might be going on inside. I have a magnetic probe somewhere i might go fishing in the drain hole with that.

Mine whined in 3&4 , if its noisy when driving try pressing the clutch down and see if the noise stops. if it does then Im afraid the box is stuffed. I got lucky with 2nd box off a mate days before i was due too send the stuffed one to cogbox, he's got to be one of the best for the job. i can't remember how much it was going to cost but between 6-800 for a stock box, but it'll be worth it.

If you are going to replace/rebuild your gearbox it may be worth considering an upgrade.
I have just completed and AT code gearbox upgrade.

This gives you taller ratios and a taller final drive this gives a nice cruising speed on the motorway and due to the lower RPM it is a little less frantic and a good amount quieter, I have also noticed a increase in MPG.

The AT code gear box is a very easy upgrade and there are threads on this site to help you, Axle from the site has completed a how to and Gadget Boy posted his how to on that thread also.
Axle also sells some adapters to make the Jon super easy.

Having just arrived back from a trip to the Isle Of Wight I found the gearbox very drivable and recommend it, lastly I am running a 1600 SP with the AT box.

Latest posts