Key turning but no start

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbear

Reaction score
Hi all, my ignition key seems to be turning all the way round past the start position without starting the engine, it doesn't spring back neither, although the starter motor clicks, after 15-20 attempts it finally starts. I've not got time to look at it today but where should I start? New ignition barrel or starter motor/solenoid?

Brett.

If the starter motor clicks I would start with checking the motor and solenoid .... Every now and then my starter motor clicks with no joy, I use the John Muir trick of using a big screwdriver to bridge the power on the starter to check it turning - if ok I then do the second check and bring full voltage to bear on the solenoid ... in my case it clears the issue for a few months until it sticks again (in just the same way as John describes on one of his busses). It has never been sufficient a pain for me to do any more about it yet.

Of course it may be something completely different!

Your key turns way past the cranking position and doesn't spring back, and your starter motor doesn't turn on most of the time you turn the key?
You need a new ignition switch.

Happystamps said:
Your key turns way past the cranking position and doesn't spring back, and your starter motor doesn't turn on most of the time you turn the key?

I've just replaced the ignition switch a few weeks ago, the key has always turned a long way round but now decided not to spring back. Just ordered a new barrel. Hopefully that'll sort it.

Bigbear said:
Happystamps said:

I've just replaced the ignition switch a few weeks ago, the key has always turned a long way round but now decided not to spring back. Just ordered a new barrel. Hopefully that'll sort it.

The fact you've just replaced it only makes me more suspicious of the switch :lol:

Yep, it was the switch. Shite parts yet again! So if anyone wants an ignition barrel I've got one sat here doing nothing!

Latest posts