Kick Panel Chalk Markings

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwcanuck

Reaction score
My '68 panel's kickplates were in pretty rough shape when I bought her this summer. As I peeled off the bubbling outer layer, I found these chalk markings underneath. After asking around, I found out that they are not written in german or polish. Anyone have an idea what language they are and what the second one means? :?

"26 1968 Panel" - 2 and 6 are the first and last numbers in the VIN. 1968 Panel is most probably the next part, but what language?

2012-10-14125009.jpg

What does this say? :?:

Could the bottom read " 1/2 cm ... ?"

2012-10-14124948.jpg

Zwarte skai zijkanten 1/2 cm .....?

Its dutch for:
Black skai (fake leather) sides 1/2 cm ....?

It is indeed Dutch, probably written by an upholsterer, because it is says;
Zwarte skai zijkanten 1/2 cm openlaten, which means 'Black Leatherette, leave sides 1/2 cm open' Which probably means to leave 1/2 cm extra to fold around the edges.

The number reads 26 2968 to me, no idea what that means. Also can't make out what the word below says. maybe the last name of the customer?

Woohoo!!!! :bliss:

Thanks so much everyone ... well most of you :lol:

I guess I was stuck thinking that these were factory markings but now proven that the kick panels were recovered at some point. My panel van was originally delivered to Belgium so this makes complete sense. I won't be recovering these and will keep the writing visible ... along with the Belgium flag sticker in the rear window.

Cheers gents!

Latest posts