La Rochelle Area

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ands1

Reaction score
Has anyone been to good campsites round this area? just me, girlfriend & 8 month old baby going, would like swimming pool & a nice little town / beech to mooch on.
Is surf good round this area?

Any links or recommendations appreciated.

Andy

I've stayed in La Tranche Sur Mer a few times @ camping les dunes. Nice campsite beach about 10 minute walk through forest.

We stayed here...

camping-les-sables.com‎

Chemin du Pontreau
17440 Aytré, France
05 46 45 40 30

...a couple of years ago. Was a lovely little town, great campsite and a short bus to La Rochelle.

Daz

Thanks guys, anyone ever stayed on il de re?
Amy good Campsites close to beach there?
Do you have to pay to get over bridge onto island?
Thanks

Did Il de re last year. Yes you have to pay to cross the bridge. Around 18 euro return irrespective of vehicle. All the campsites are crammed and expensive. We tried half a dozen before we forked out for a nice site. Same story on the beach, you struggle to find a patch of sand to sit on. God help you if the tide is coming in too and everyone keeps moving further and further back. Little towns are nice to stroll through if that is your thing. Most people who go there cycle around the island. There's a path that goes around it. Not my idea of cycling but nice for a family ride. In short I would say there are a lot nicer places to visit in France.

LOL, moving around here with Destinations, anyone know good campsites on Quiberon?

Thanks

Ands1 said:
Thanks

We stayed on the island a few years back. We wre there in mid/late August. To be fair we got on a nice campsite with a pool straight away. It have a massive beach opposite that was pretty quiet! I guess eveyones experience is relative to the time they go. The bridge crossing was darned expensive though, but I did think it was closer to 30euros, but only one way .... ?

We are planning on going back this summer, once Ive bought some proper trunks :lol:

Well finally moved further up france & decided on a place called Benodet.

http://campingduletty-benodet.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probs about 2 hours drive from Roscoff in old Poe so hopefully won't be to bad for my 9 month old daughter.
Looking forward to our first little european tour :D

Anyone else been round these parts?

Andy

Andy,
Stayed in Benodet last year at the end of season so it was very quiet, it's mainly a French family tourist resort, there are some great beaches to the east and west. There is a small Carrefour supermarket as you enter the town but a better hypermarket on the D45 ( E Leclerc)at Fouesnant to the east of Benodet.
There is a few restaurants mainly at the west end of the town beach and along the estuary.

The main thing is there is loads of good cider :party0047:
Cheers, Rob.

Kombi zombie said:
Andy,
Stayed in Benodet last year at the end of season so it was very quiet, it's mainly a French family tourist resort, there are some great beaches to the east and west. There is a small Carrefour supermarket as you enter the town but a better hypermarket on the D45 ( E Leclerc)at Fouesnant to the east of Benodet.
There is a few restaurants mainly at the west end of the town beach and along the estuary.

The main thing is there is loads of good cider :party0047:
Cheers, Rob.

Thanks Rob,
Really looking forward to the trip, fingers crossed POE runs well all trip
Andy

Delilah said:
We stayed here...

camping-les-sables.com‎

Chemin du Pontreau
17440 Aytré, France
05 46 45 40 30

...a couple of years ago. Was a lovely little town, great campsite and a short bus to La Rochelle.

Daz

Daz - our friends have booked this site as part of our tour of France later this year but the reviews of it I have found are not good - how long ago did you go? Heard the railway was busy and the beach wasn't great either (amongst other things)?

Cheers

We stayed here last year, lovely site not too big, really chilled

http://www.camping-logeries.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beaches in the area are Sauveterre and another one I can't remember the name of, plus you can run down to Les Sables.

Looking for suggestions near La Tranche ands then Bordeaux as well for this year, found here if anyone has been?

http://www.mouettecendree.com/mobil/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clem said:
Ands1 said:
Thanks

We stayed on the island a few years back. We wre there in mid/late August. To be fair we got on a nice campsite with a pool straight away. It have a massive beach opposite that was pretty quiet! I guess eveyones experience is relative to the time they go. The bridge crossing was darned expensive though, but I did think it was closer to 30euros, but only one way .... ?

We are planning on going back this summer, once Ive bought some proper trunks :lol:

Ands1, I know you are no longer going to La Rochelle or Il de Re I just to reiterate what Mike said really. We went to Frnace in June 2012 (admittedly before the summer holidays) and when we arrived at La Rochelle, the one and only main campsite actually in La Rochelle was not open until 2 days after we arrived. we went to tourist info and there wasnt one in driving distance. We therefore went over the bridge to Il De Re and drove around the island. We ended up opting for the first one we saw (typical) and it was half empty and backed onto the beach. Like a said, pretty irrelavent as you have changed your location.

What I would recommend though is to look at the campsite prices where you choose to go as some have tiered prices others jst have high and low season. We went the 3rd and 4th week in June and worked out that we saved about 10Euro/night going when we did. weather not as hot, but places not as busy...

judge_smudge said:
Delilah said:
We stayed here...

camping-les-sables.com‎

Chemin du Pontreau
17440 Aytré, France
05 46 45 40 30

Daz

Daz - our friends have booked this site as part of our tour of France later this year but the reviews of it I have found are not good - how long ago did you go? Heard the railway was busy and the beach wasn't great either (amongst other things)?

Cheers

The site was okay. Can't remember the railways being a problem ...didn't know there was one lol. This was five years ago mind. But you're right the beach was naff. If Le Mans is ever on the radar then we went there last summer and stayed at the best ever campsite ...nice and small and well located.

Love this campsite...

http://thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/cheap-camping-with-vw-nut.6456/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The owner is a bit of a nutter, but he knows quite a bit about VW`s, it could be useful... ;)

Ands1 said:
Has anyone been to good campsites round this area? just me, girlfriend & 8 month old baby going, would like swimming pool & a nice little town / beech to mooch on.
Is surf good round this area?

Any links or recommendations appreciated.

Andy

we'll be in that part of france last week of Jul & first week of Aug too, also first trip with the nipper and first time i've taken a camper out of the uk...

so as Ands1 said any recommendations welcomed.

S.

From mid July to mid August is peak season. Anywhere on the coast will be very busy (too busy for my taste, went once and never again :lol: )

Up to July 10 and after August 14 it normally tends to be quieter in France.

That said, the coast can be pretty busy for some weeks either side of those peak times.

The med is of course the busiest. Long gone are the days when you could visit St Tropez in September for a reasonably peaceful time.

we stayed at this place
http://en.le-chaponnet.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
in Brem-sur-mer.....it was ideal near very small town with supermarket, couple of restaurants and weekly market and a short walk or cycle to beach...behind big sand dunes.

on their homepage there are 2 slammed earlies on fuchs........anyone on here?

We've just booked for August on a site close to Medis, near Royan. Sailing from Plymouth to Roscoff.

No touring about this year, just drive there, camp, and then drive home, sort of.

It breaks my heart paying so much to cross the channel for the West Coast when Dover-Calais is sooo cheap :( :lol:

Latest posts