La Rochelle Area

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what a moaning minnie you are clem, i heard you went to switzerland once and didn't complain about the prices. :lol:

anywhere near royan ye might as well go to butlins.

IMHO................ :p

oorwullie said:
what a moaning minnie you are clem, i heard you went to switzerland once and didn't complain about the prices. :lol:

anywhere near royan ye might as well go to butlins.

IMHO................ :p

I've paid my money and I'm entitled to moan! Swiss camping was cheap and we got there via a free Chunnel crossing :D

Our campsite is looking a bit Butlins but that'll entertain the two twelve year olds with us.

Love the ille de re.

We stayed on a campsite right on the south end. Municipal I seem to remember. 50 yards from a sandy beach. It was lovely. No swimming pool & all that but very clean, great washing facilities & good value. Bread van comes every morning, warm croissants!

If you want to go into La Rochelle for the day, drive to the car park at the bridge & take the bus over. Much cheaper.

stayed on both ill de re and ill d'oleron

oleron is bigger and more geared up for tourists, first night was a cheap site up in the far end of the island, then we had 4 nights nr bouyard in a forest/beach campsite which was awesome. island great for camping and exploring by bike, we had a one yr old at the time who spent the bike journeys asleep and then work up for the beach. very family friendly resturants as well, especially with very little ones!

re was either not done justice or not as good. we found campsites a bit sparse compared.

municipal? campsite at Blois is very good mid point for journey back to Calais or Cherbourg. its on other side of river and really good. worth staying a few days and checking out chateuxs along the loire

Just back from our trip. We stayed at a campsite in a town called Midas, near Royan and four miles from the beach town of St George De Diddonne. Despite oor wullies concerns the area is absolutely nothing like Butlins and is pretty quiet and low key. We were a bit too far away from the sea to walk and the roads wernt really suitable for a safe cycle ride with kids, so meant breaking camp to drive out. The whole area is very quiet though and was in last week of season so was pretty wound down. Good weather with only one real rainstorm, very good pool on site and reasonable cost of living in the area. Took about 7/8 hours to drive down there, and we split the return journey stopping at Nantes as we had an earlier ferry departure time from Roscoff.

my top tip for not butlins style anywhere near royan is camping les sables at meschers. don't omit visiting tina either:

http://tinascafe.fr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.camping-des-sables.com/site.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and after that do visit dandaz. he loves visitors :mrgreen:

i'm off down to the med on sunday but you won't want to know me in my late bay.................. :p

Latest posts