late bay handles on to an early bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy D

Reaction score
hey guys i got a 71 early bay microbus. there is no way i can afford early bay handles and locks, and was going to buy a new set of late handles and locks.

what are the chances of actually making these fit?

its not a cross over gender bender late lights blah blah blah shitter. its early shelled and late running gear ;)

any info would be ace!

cheers tommy

Hi Tommy,
Early and late passenger door handles are the same, but the keys are not. Early uses L profile while late uses R profile. So buy a nice shiny set of late handles and swap over the lock barrels. Just remove single cross head screw, securing operating lever, and the barrel simple pushes out, might be a good idea to clean the barrel, but be careful not to mix up the wafers as it won’t work if you do! Give it a nice bit of dry-lube (something like Tri-Flo) and pop your old barrels in your shiny new handles. Simples.
If you need any more info feel free to drop me a PM

One other quick point, try not to be tempted with Brazilian handles which, most suppliers sell, as they aren’t that good. They also use a completely different key and barrel so are NOT interchangeable with 'original' handles. Try to find some nice old ones (if you are struggling here I might have some) and you won’t regret it.

Dave

Your fine fella there the same even the key code 71 > was the R coded locks its just the slider thats different which has a seperate lock ....where it starts to go a little wrong is if your talking new repro gear then the locks are incompatible and far far inferior in quality regarding the chrome and basic zamac shell.... you can pick up good quality handles for peanuts minus the barrels 2/3 quid a pop at swap meets a few minor scratches wont win shows but then if that was your aim you wouldnt be quibling over a few quid......

mixed replies then haha

front doors handle from late bay ?

front door locks from late bay ?

sliding door handles from late bay?

sliding door locks form late bay?

rear hatch and engine lid handles from late bay?

rear hatch and engine lid locks from late bay?

:D

cheers tommy

You have a 71 so the handles and locks on the cab doors are the same look on your keys they'll be a number with a letter R or on the barrel
the slider on a late has the lock mouned seperately so no to handle the lock barrel ? as its shaped differently to the others in order to move the pin within the handle so unlikely although I've not had one apart
Engine lid is non chrome on a late and the tailgate is different mounting to the gate

i dont have any handles at all bought this van bare so i have nothing to compare too...

so late handles and locks for the cab doors will fit...

early handles and locks will be needed for the slider...

and the tail gate and engine lid will need to be early!?

cheers for help btw ;)

in good order at a swap meet there cheap even with lock and a key....its easy enough to rejig them to one key operation dont pay Cand Cs massively inflated rates its just not worth it give them a good clean and let them dry then lube with graphite powder.

cheers dude, atleast i know what im buying now.. am i right about all of the above tho, all early bar the cab handles and locks.

Tommy D said:
its not a cross over gender bender late lights blah blah blah shitter. its early shelled and late running gear ;)

:lol: :lol:

Your gona get your arse handed to you talking like that on here dude!! :lol:

You got here home yet hombre?

The rear hatch locks from a late bay can be made to fit, but I wouldn't recommend it if it can be avoided :?

The hole in the tailgate the lock sits in is smaller on EB's so either the lock needs to be trimmed or the hole enlarged, or maybe both. It's a close fit, only 2 or 3mm difference...

IIRC the later locks for the tailgate are also deeper so adjustments need to be made there too...

young_dubya said:
Tommy D said:

:lol: :lol:

Your gona get your arse handed to you talking like that on here dude!! :lol:

You got here home yet hombre?

febuary she comin home dude i need a few bits for her before she it water tight... ie door seals and handles! still need that dash pod and all new brakes and suspension! not lookin forward to these 1 year only 71 calipers hahaha might put later hubs on... lol

Latest posts