lead loading/filling

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinworm

Reaction score
hello everyone. fingers crossed i may have found an early bay. going to view it on wednesday. does anyone know what i would need for lead filling /loading the body work please? don't have loads of cash to pay for pro to do it so am willing to give it a go. even if it's a disaster at least it will be unique lol. any advice is welcome... would like to apologise if this is in the wrong section :D

good tutorial on Frost.

http://www.frost.co.uk/how-do-i-load-lead" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do classic cars for a living an we never use lead loading as its more trouble then it's worth it seems to when you use it with the gas it causes rust to start a lot quicker then it would using chemical metal we use that where we have butt welded panels on or over any factory seams that was lead loaded before as we have a lot of cars that go for acid dipping so they get the factory lead melted out. If your filling dents filler is much better as its light weight an easier to work with

Rob

A friend of mine back in th early 80'S had a awful lot of lead loading done on his black 59/60 Caddy it's still in it now it never drops out & you'll never know it's in there unless you do the magnet trick, even if you go back to the metal it's hard to tell. :)

I didn't mean it would drop out but as I said it more trouble then it's worth an I bet a pound the bloke that loaded your mates filled over the top to just finish it off

Rob

Rob b said:
I didn't mean it would drop out but as I said it more trouble then it's worth an I bet a pound the bloke that loaded your mates filled over the top to just finish it off

Rob

He may well of, but when the car had a accident a few years later he dented the wing a round the lights were it was plated & lead filled there was no signs of any plastic filler the repair area behaved almost as if it had never been repaired. :?
I do know what you mean plastic fillers,& chemical metals are a hell of alot easier than Sticks of Lead solder & flux, plus it will be alot more expensive. :shock:

Leading is much more timing consuming and expensive than using modern body fillers. It's also a lot more difficult and you have to take a lot more factors into consideration.

Having said that if done correctly it makes for a repair as good as solid metal and you won't have issues with cracking or pourosity like filler. If it does start rusting quickly after application thats down to bad technique and not neutralizing the acid after the repair is complete.

It is possible to complete a repair without filler to a metal finish, it is also possible to complete a repair using lead alone, it helps to be a skilled, experienced panel beater.

Now, lets talk filler. Modern body fillers are very good and easy to use. If used correctly they make for a good repair. The problem is cowboys use fillers to bodge over rust, holes etc and therefore the public think filler = evil. THE MAJORITY OF CARS ON THE ROAD HAVE FILLER IN THEM! Yes, even new vehicles sitting on dealership fourcourts! It amuses me that there are a large number of keyboard warriors, educated by the discovery channel (they identify themselves by using the americanism "color sanding") that have their little rant about filler and then praise Boyd Coddington, if you watch American Hot Rod they basically skim the entire vehicle with filler and block it all back!

The thing to remember when tackling body work is that a paint job is only as good as the prep work. A lot of people will do the bodywork and prep themselves and then let a professional put the paint as they believe thats the hardest part. It's not that hard to paint to a reasonable standard, but poor prep work will ruin a good top coat in less than 12 months.

That was all quite wordy so here's some pics of a rusty Jag wing I repaired and leaded.
205076_196830633686686_8116544_n.jpg

217514_196830673686682_5040015_n.jpg

217022_196830690353347_1398241_n.jpg

And a vid of George Barris and Bill Hines lead loading...
[youtube]jQ_85fp1avs[/youtube]

That looks lovely can't tell the lead from the steel your pics say more than words could ever tell, proper job. 8)

I know looking at that photo you skimmed it with filler as its not flat an good enough to primer over.

Rob

Lmao :party0041: we don't really use that we use roberlo but its pretty much the same :)

Rob

i agree lead loading is an art and brilliant if done right but not so much if not cleaned after can also cause paint reaction from the flux stuff my mate had a real problem with that, i learned from that and never had a problem myself. It is good practice to use it if possible and budget permits, but if every customer gave me an unlimited budget to work to i would be a very very happy man

Latest posts