leak into spare wheel well

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike F

Reaction score
I've taken advantage of the superb day to get out on the van - wash and wax as suggested by slammedkustom after my cover problems.

Having got round half the van I took a break to investigate a water seepage problem. The area between the spare wheel well and the rear door had been damp for a week. I've put teatowels down to dry it, put square pots in to check for the leak and generally presumed I'd need to look at the seals.

I have now found that the spare wheel well was full of water, then overflowing which is when I noticed it.

I've drained it and left the wheel out to investigate day by day.

I see there is a drain plug at the bottom, filled with a rubber grommet. I guess I could remove this but water would then soak the leisure battery.

Any thoughts?

Hey dude, I had a leak like this for a bit, sorted after changing the rear hatch seal. Found it by working my way round the van with me on the out side with a hose and a mate inside with a keen eye and some kitchen roll.

Was apparent when we hit the spot!

Try it it worked for me :D

Or maybe the rear screen seal too? Mine is so hard the glass moves about in the aperture! The water gets in too .. dont worry, new seal ready to be fitted ;)

Water is actually designed to drain into the rear trays, which is why the 'normal' battery trays always rot .... ensure its well protected in there.

The best way I found to find water leaks it to thoroughly dry and clean the area and then wipe talcum powder all over the suspect area. Any leaks will leave a trail in the talc.

i had exactly the same problem and it was the side window seal, i still havent replaced the seal but used clear silocone for a quick fix :twisted: stopped the leak for now but it will be replaced when i cone to do the body work and respray :D

That tip about talcum powder is great - will remember that one!

The mystery deepens as I took a look to see how wet the well was yesterday after it'd hammered down over the weekend only to find it 100% dry.

Could the water have got there as condensation from when I have camped in the van... or could I blame the cover which I mentioned in a previous thread?!!

Latest posts