Leaking / Gurgling Solex P40 Twin Carbs

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scull

Reaction score
Hello All.

New to this forum, so I hope the following request for advice is correct.

I have purchased new Solex/Empi P40 twin carbs (no chokes) from Lime Bug in Stoke for my 1971 bay and fitted to a recently changed 1915cc T1 engine. Engine runs great, but when switched off there is a petrol leak which is dripping from the throttle linkage (worse on carb nearest to fuel pump). There is also a slight gurgling sound from the body of the carbs about a minute after switching off.

The carbs do NOT leak when the engine is running, and the leak/gurgling stops after about 5 minutes after which time you can smell it.

Has anyone else had this problem with these carbs, and if so what was their solution? My own thoughts are listed below:

Excessive fuel pump pressure (no shut of valve in my stock fuel pump).
Dirt in the float needle valve
Float level requires adjusting
The carbs are crap and I have no alternative but to buy another set up.

This is so frustrating as the bus runs so well with lots of power and pick up even at low revs.

Any guidance would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards,

Scull.

I think you have answered your own question - the carbs are a tad crap. A bit harsh perhaps but, although they work pretty well, on those I've seen, the spindles run in the body alloy with no bushes. So they wear very quickly - that's what your drip is all about. Fuel condenses at the top of the carb barrel so when you switch off it runs down and leaks out of the worn spindle. They would be better if bushes were inserted into the body - any decent machine shop should be able to make these, but you would need to remove the butterflies, drill out for the bushes, fit them and line ream them.

Latest posts