Lemurs custom headliner experiment.. photo diary

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemur

Reaction score
Hi all,
So I've decided to make my headliner myself over the next week or so, The intension is to created the 3mm ply panels first (x4,cab area,rear section and the 2 thin side strips, it's a 68 westy) from some templates that a very kind chap on here called 'neilswheels' made and sent to me recently,Thanks again Neil!

My plan:
*fetch ply tomorrow.
*Draw around templates.
*Jig-saw them out.
*sand edges and ensure all is smooth.
*check fit against van/J strips
*cover panels with a cream coloured/foam backed faux leather I have decides on. (spray adhesive)
*fit them and crack a can of beer :

My motivation for this experiment was how expensive the repro panels are to buy,and that I like to do something different too.
Pictures will be posted at evey stage and it could all go wrong :oops: but nothing ventured nothing gained!

will start pics when I have wood.. :lol:

Lemur

I seem to remember someone saying they used Carpet Shears to cut the ply (BIG scissors) as they leave a much neater edge and less splintering! just a thought, and bookmarked for progress :)

Jigsaw with a metal cutting blade is what I used, big scissors sounds like a neat idea too mind!!!!
Good luck!!
It's not easy :lol: !!

Hi Guys,Nothing to report other than fetched the ply today,also got the marine ply for my flooring while i had the van like :)

Hi lemur.
this is also a job that's getting close for me.
Is that a 8ft x 4ft sheet of ply?
I can only get that size in all the timber places I've tried!

Only I thought it needed to be more than 4ft wide, and you can only curve with the grain (if you know what I mean)

cheers
Mike

Skidsurf said:
Hi lemur.

Only I thought it needed to be more than 4ft wide, and you can only curve with the grain (if you know what I mean)

cheers
Mike
Hi Mike, Yes its an 8x4 (3.4mm)..and that's almost exactly correct in one direction 'as is' for the templates i have.. the bending with the grain thing is a 'moot point' really since ply is made of multi layers each in the opposite direction. I've had a bend of it and tbh can't see a problem :)
Hope thats a help, or maybe i'm just winging it!

Lemur

lemur said:
Skidsurf said:
Hi lemur.

cheers
Mike
Hi Mike, Yes its an 8x4 (3.4mm)..and that's almost exactly correct in one direction 'as is' for the templates i have.. the bending with the grain thing is a 'moot point' really since ply is made of multi layers each in the opposite direction. I've had a bend of it and tbh can't see a problem :)
Hope thats a help, or maybe i'm just winging it!

Lemur

I bought 4x8 1/8 (if I recall right in the thickness) and tried to bend it against the grain. It did go up, but it also cracked. You can't see it unless you are looking for it. So on the front I did go buy a 5x5 sheet. If I ever have to take the rear back out, I will get the 5x5 for it so I can bend it with the grain.

I'm in the US so I can't help in where you guys can find the 5x5 stuff.

Not sure if you have a lathams near you but I got 10 x 5 from a branch near me. Oh what fun that was on the roof rack !!

I bought 5' x 5' sheets of 3mm birch ply from a local Lathams for mine. I was tempted to go for one piece with a 10' x 5' sheet but couldn't work out how to get it in the bus.
Did it in 3 sheets without templates, but a lot of measuring.
I had to use some ply joining strips as I forgot about the compound curves and cut the sheets square instead of curving the edges that touch. Worked out OK though, as I didn't want to fit the aluminium strips anyway.

Thanks for the comments and interest guys!

Ok here's the paper templates Neil sent me... before ironing, obviously the wife did that bit :lol:
VVV

So once cut out, I found the best way to keep the template flat and taught was to secure it at 2 points per side with masking tape.
Rather than draw around it and risk moving it I opted to lightly over-spray with a squirty bottle on 'mist setting' then draw after the template was removed,a tip here is to be quick, the crisp line of wet/dry decreases after about a minute,if that makes sense.
VVV

And here a close up of the penil line drawn in
VVV

Budget bling leatherette headliner tally so far:
ply sheets x2 £20
template postage £4

not too shabby then... more tomorrow guys with jig-saw action
L

Hi guys sorry for the delay,
so with the sun out today got the cab section cut out and sanded, went pretty well i think,

first pic shows a pretty neat cut using a fine tooth jigsaw blade, the type you'd use on kitchen worktop
VVV

a couple of close ups
VVV

and the completed full panel
VVV :D

more soon..
L

Cud I have your templates for m tintop plz of course I'd pay the post It saves me getting bent over by a few company's wanting £150 upwards :shock:

so finished cutting them all out today, all egdes sanded and ready to be trimmed when fabric gets here :) (may be a wee while since the wife has changed her mind on the covering, will now be perforated ivory)
Also checked fit into j channels with fabric,tight but goes!
sorry about the poor pic,gardens small
VVV

more soon
L

Weeman said:
Cud I have your templates for m tintop plz of course I'd pay the post It saves me getting bent over by a few company's wanting £150 upwards :shock:

Hi dude, already agreed to post them out to 'buxtonbug' on here, bet he'll then forward to you if you ask :)

Looking good Liam, hope you cut inside your lines..

Looks like there's a little orderly queue forming for your templates, I sent someone else your way today!

Yep pass details and I'll send them on when done. I can see these being well travelled plans??

neilswheels said:
Looking good Liam, hope you cut inside your lines..

Looks like there's a little orderly queue forming for your templates, I sent someone else your way today!
Hi Neil, yep cut out the lines fully,also got a little OCD :oops: and double checked a few measurments and re-drew a few lines with a steel straight edge.overall I'm happy with the result thus far.
Thanks you!

buxtonbug said:
Yep pass details and I'll send them on when done. I can see these being well travelled plans??
Love it when a plan comes together!

Latest posts