Lemurs custom headliner experiment.. photo diary

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done on your handy work and sharing the templates. It reminds me of the bamboo shelf template that was passed about . I think everyone now has one !

Think I missed a trick here, have to read this thread sober.. but whoever has the templates can I have a go on them and the same goes for the shelf ones

trinketpimp said:
Think I missed a trick here, have to read this thread sober.. but whoever has the templates can I have a go on them and the same goes for the shelf ones
lol... I currently have them and will be sending them off to 'buxtonbug' this weekend or monday at the very latest, then i wash my hands of them :lol:

Can I please have them after you Trinketpimp?

What a fantastic thread to stumble across - I've been dreading doing this job!

trinketpimp said:

I've still got a pdf of the shelf ones if you still need them, pm me your email address and I'll send it over.

Bit of a queue forming Once they arrive and I,m sorted I will pass them on to next on list and pits up a list of interested parties so they can be passed along

Liam, does your roof have lower 'bulges' where the sunroof drains are/should be? Bit of a discussion going on re fitting a ply headliner over these, http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58554" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; just wondered if you had them and had got any further?

neilswheels said:
Liam, does your roof have lower 'bulges' where the sunroof drains are/should be? Bit of a discussion going on re fitting a ply headliner over these, http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58554" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; just wondered if you had them and had got any further?

Sorry Neil, Can't help with those "weird bulges" My 68 doesn't have them, still waiting on arrival of vinyl so progress halted atm.. defo gonna see this thread through :) can't believe how many folks have contacted me for the templates!
Those bulges almost look non-factory don't they?
L

Many thanks Madman, now have PDF of the shelf if anyone is looking.... could do with the roof one !

lemur said:
neilswheels said:

Sorry Neil, Can't help with those "weird bulges" My 68 doesn't have them, still waiting on arrival of vinyl so progress halted atm.. defo gonna see this thread through :) can't believe how many folks have contacted me for the templates!
L

Do you have any pics of your roof Liam, I'm looking at 'modifying' mine to suit, be good to know what the factory did with them originally.

Hi Neil, I can take some for you :D you want images around the pop-top opening/sides right?
watch this space pal
Liam

Ply turned up today so ready to go soon as I,m done I,ll pass them on Weeman . And I,ll get list as it stand up.

neilswheels said:
lemur said:
neilswheels said:

L

Do you have any pics of your roof Liam, I'm looking at 'modifying' mine to suit, be good to know what the factory did with them originally.

here you go pal,sorry for delay :oops:

Thanks Liam, I'll have a proper check but that all looks pretty much the same as mine...

Looking forward to seeing how your headliner goes, spoke to a mate yesterday who had tried this with a couple of bits of original westy ply and one piece of regular, he said the westy stuff was a breeze to fit, really bendy, where as the ply he'd bought which was the same thickness as the westy was a royal pita!

ok guys, the shite weather (and om OCD) has caused me to prepare my headliner by steaming and bending the profile of the roof into the ply :? so here is pictures, over all width of headliner once conncaved needed to be about 125cm.. with a starting with of 146cm.. so over 10cm to lose in the bend..

basically I just steamed the areas where the bend must be most severe and tightened the cord by twisting the stick as i went, you'll know when the ply is soft from the smell of the glue as it softens. easily got to the size necessary with about 1/2 hr of steaming.

used a steam cleaner, g clamps x2, a stick, some nylon cord,

pics of practice fit to follow soon
L

so 'mock fitted' the cab piece today and its a big green light!!! :)
next step will be to apply the perforated vinyl
watch this space
:D L

Latest posts