Long drive home!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donallanwalker

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have just bought a vw camper T2, I have to drive it home from near london to Aberdeen, probably around a 12 hour+ drive. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on checks I could make at the side of the road, or things to look out for on the drive home, as Im brand new to the scene and not too sure what I'm looking out for.

Any help would be great!!

Firstly, congratulations :D

Before going, I'd check the oil level, and then check it again every time you stop, or at least until you're confident it's not using it :lol:

If you have the know-how, I'd take a timing light and check the timing too. Timing being out can quickly kill an engine.

Otherwise, just enjoy the drive. I've driven mine around Spain and France, you get used to the slower pace of life when driving a camper :)

I did Cornwall to Glasgow when I collected mine. If was supposed to be edinburgh but the generator light came on at Carlisle.
Pack a sleeping bag, gloves and hat just in case the weather changes and the heating is not working. It looks like is will be a rainy October so do check the tyres before setting off, especially inside side walls for splits.
Also join the AA or other recovery service with a get you home policy just in case.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

jonboylaw said:
I did Cornwall to Glasgow when I collected mine. If was supposed to be edinburgh but the generator light came on at Carlisle.
Pack a sleeping bag, gloves and hat just in case the weather changes and the heating is not working. It looks like is will be a rainy October so do check the tyres before setting off, especially inside side walls for splits.
Also join the AA or other recovery service with a get you home policy just in case.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

all of the above is great advise oh and take a mate ;)

chris

I live in Norwich and drove my new purchase (last weekend before Christmas) home from Taunton with no heating - very cold.

Check all lights are working and you know what all the switches do. Check battery terminals are tight and oil/charge lights go out on start up. Check tyre pressures as soon as you can, as it us a long way and you need as much fuel economy as you can and stick to 50-55mph unless it has a type 4 engine that go a bit quicker.

Definitely take out brake down cover and a few tools.

Great tips guys, really appreciated :)

I make the trip when I get home next thursday, let has know how I get on :)

p.s. already joined the AA fully comp the day I bought her :)

When I drove my newly purchased van from Oxfordshire to Annan (SW Scotland), I took the bus down during the day and drove it back home through the night to avoid traffic. I filled the tank to the brim, got on the motorway and tucked myself in behind an artic doing about the same speed as me and plodded up the road, only stopping for fuel, strong coffee and a pee. I took a handful of basic tools, 2 torches, a waterproof and a warm coat and my AA card. As already mentioned, at every stop I checked that the engine was still present and that it contained oil. If you're coming up the M6/M74 and you need any assistance of some sort, from Carlisle to Lockerbie, feel free to give me a shout...day or night. (0790 2929 691).

Made it up the road guys!!! (Eventually)
650 miles up the road to Scotland! Really chuffed with the journey, she just cruised the whld way!!

Took all u guys advice and reduced speed to 60mph, left at 1030 am and arrived on my doorstep at 0430!! Had a couple of naps in the back because I'm just off 3 weeks night shift!

no real issues at all, apart from the window wiper came loose but just nipped if up and it was sorted!

Was really good to get a real feel of it and find out it's limits and handling capabilities.

It needs it's heater sorted, there was heat constantly coming out the dash, but the actual heater just blows cool air, it wasn't cold until around midnight then I needed the hat and gloves! (Thanks for the advice) Also needs a light in the dash dials as I couldn't see a thing!!

The engine was fine though, my oil level stayed in between the lines the whole way, was a really smooth drive engine wise.

The steering was pretty boaty, when it rained it was quite hard to handle so going to look into ways of improving that, and the breaks are not great so will be replacing them with a brand new set all round.

Fuel wise, I thought it was ok, I got about 430miles out of a full tank, about £75, I'm not tok sure if that is good or bad or just the norm big I thought it might have been more with having a modified engine?

All in all though really pleased, no major issues so far after 650mikes so that's got to be a good start?! Just a few comfort tweaks needed I hope?

Thanks again for all the tips and advice, you really are a friendly bunch xxx

Mate that's brilliant for ya oh btw the dash lights , try turning the dash knob to the right as it'll brighten them up as it's a dimmer

I do wonder sometimes whether some people should be allowed to be in charge of a vehicle. Why does reason go straight out the window when we by a camper, I bet these types of questions would not be thought of if a "modern" type of car had been purchased. People can take the time to put their thoughts into a text, but not into real life.

donallanwalker said:
Made it up the road guys!!! (Eventually)
650 miles up the road to Scotland! Really chuffed with the journey, she just cruised the whld way!!

Took all u guys advice and reduced speed to 60mph, left at 1030 am and arrived on my doorstep at 0430!! Had a couple of naps in the back because I'm just off 3 weeks night shift!

no real issues at all, apart from the window wiper came loose but just nipped if up and it was sorted!

Was really good to get a real feel of it and find out it's limits and handling capabilities.

It needs it's heater sorted, there was heat constantly coming out the dash, but the actual heater just blows cool air, it wasn't cold until around midnight then I needed the hat and gloves! (Thanks for the advice) Also needs a light in the dash dials as I couldn't see a thing!!

The engine was fine though, my oil level stayed in between the lines the whole way, was a really smooth drive engine wise.

The steering was pretty boaty, when it rained it was quite hard to handle so going to look into ways of improving that, and the breaks are not great so will be replacing them with a brand new set all round.

Fuel wise, I thought it was ok, I got about 430miles out of a full tank, about £75, I'm not tok sure if that is good or bad or just the norm big I thought it might have been more with having a modified engine?

All in all though really pleased, no major issues so far after 650mikes so that's got to be a good start?! Just a few comfort tweaks needed I hope?

Thanks again for all the tips and advice, you really are a friendly bunch xxx

Nice work. If you've driven all those miles in 1 hit without issue, it shows you've bought a decent van.

Well done mate, great news, nothin like that first drive home......although if I'm honest it sounds a little too good to me......are u sure it's a veedub you've bought :lol:

You may find your brakes are ok, braking in a bus is a relative concept , it's more about a slow reduction in speed ,rather than actually stopping anytime soon. They may actually be ok !!!
And your fuel economy sounds amazing , that's about 33mpg.....the last time I achieved that was when I had the engine out and was pushing it around.

Good luck

Latest posts