Looking for Semi-Auto Gearbox Wiring Diagram

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Good

Reaction score
Hi all,
Between 1970 and 1979 VW offered an option of a semi-automatic gearbox or 'auto-stick transmission' aimed mainly for the USA market. I urgently need the diagram for the EXTRA wiring for the auto gearbox, either as a 'stand-alone' diagram or as part of the entire vehicle diagram. As far as I am aware, VW themselves never published the wiring diagram for the auto-box. I expect everyone will want to reply at this point to either the Samba.com, Vintagebus.com or similar web-sites, which are extremely valuable sources of wiring diagrams; however, as far as I have checked all of these are for the MANUAL transmission only. While I am looking specifically for the diagram for the 1973 auto-box, I understand the wiring connections were unchanged over the 1970-79 period this option was offered by VW. The owner manuals that contain info about the auto-box seem to cover the mechanical aspects in great detail, but nothing about the electrical connections that actually make it happen! Searches on Google and Yahoo etc have so far yielded nothing, so your help would be much appreciated.
Peter Good

Semi auto or "stick shift" as it was known was basically a servo operated clutch that was operated by the switch built into the top of the gear lever and a torque converter to sustain drive whilst the clutch was disengaged. Wiring was therefore simple.

I was not aware it was ever fitted to bays.

Have a look at beetle diagrams.

I have VW's own in house workshop manuals "Transmission and Rear Axle" which is a 3 volume opus containing hundreds of mind blowing highly detailed pages.
In amongst these is a whole section on the "Automatic Stick Shift" containing amongst other things two wiring diagrams.
I'll get them scanned, uploaded onto thesamba.com (which I use as my uploading site cf. photobucket) and then in turn onto here.

1171827.jpg

1171826.jpg

Many thanks VWed for posting the diagrams.
From the chassis numbers quoted, they are I believe for the Beetle. I am looking specifically for the diagram for 1973 bay auto van, which surprisingly seems to be different to the Beetle. I need the diagram as parts of the wiring has burnt out, and I am unable to determine what went where in the area of the gearbox. There are 3 spade connections on the gear-shift (gear-stick) a Red, a Black and a White with a thin Blue/red combined, the later almost certainly going to the diagnostic socket. All the cables run to the rear of the van in the main section along the chassis as per the manual vans and seem to exit judging by the remains, in the general area of the starter motor.
Peter Good

The manuals I've referred to above have no sections on Type 2 automatic transmission, probably because they pre-date August '72 when the auto transmission was introduced to the Type 2.
However looking more closely I've come across a two page section that discusses the shift stick itself and the contact block at the base of it for Type3/4 models. Assuming that the Type 2 set up is similar, it talks about 3 contacts:
Black cable for back up lights.
Red cable for terminal 50 (starter).
Cable for scale lighting.
There are photos of the connections/contact block.
I'll scan and upload tomorrow.

I seem to be coming to the conclusion that the type 2 set up is quite different not only to the Beetle, but also the Type 3 & 4.
Just to update there are 3/4 cables going to the back via the main loom (Red, Black and White with Blue/red)
Clearly, a feed supply is required from the fuse-box and key-switch, and there is a second short piece with several cables (Red, Red/Black, Black, Green, Black/Yellow, Grey/Red) I suspect the grey/red is the 'scale' light supply, Red/Black probably from the keyswitch, red 30 supply ....??
I really need a wiring diagram for the type 2 from 1972 on please.....
Peter g

well using the standard codes I would have thought red=batt pos,red/black= starter,black=ign feed.I have a autodata manual 68-79 will look this affty .

no,chocy teapot.red/white should also be bat + but switched?looking back that short loom is the same as ign switch loom ,maybe thats what its from?and nowt to do with gbox.

Thanks for all your replies; very much appreciated.
Our search through endless tecky documents all indicate that the 1973 auto-stick model was a 'one year only' as far as the auto wiring is concerned. Sadly, we have drawn a complete blank so far with searches both here and stateside.
Does anyone out there (in the UK) have a 1973 auto model we can take a look see and photo?
Peter Good

Latest posts