Loose Rear End

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan67

Reaction score
Ok, Just got but 68 back on the road with the usual mods. 4" beam, 2.5" spindles, 3.25" drop plates, 185/55 and 185/65 Toyos, stock oil shocks in front and Monroe gas shocks in back. When I get to about 65 mph it feels loose like the back end is fishtailing. I had a four wheel alignment done but have`nt had a chance to take it back to the shop yet. I`m thinking maybe some KYB`s may help. I`m not a fan of the gas a djusts and have good luck with GR2`s on my early Buses. What`s the best choice for a Bay? Maybe a combo? Has anyone came up with a 4" narrowed swaybar yet? _________________

Have you checked the rear tracking?
Did you replace the "donuts"?
I've driven a lot of buses and never experienced this.

Had a four wheel alignment done. Did not check the donuts but there was no excess movement in the springplates when I put the drop plates on.

Pressure should be fine as I just had them mounted but I will check when i get a chance. It did`nt do it before the lowering but it did get better when I got rid of the old shocks for the new Monroe gas shocks.

The plates are from Wide Five and are nice and thick so I doubt it. I would hate to take them off and turn the spring plates instead but we will see.

Everything new but the steering box. I`m planning on a late model bow swap in the future. The one in it now has maybe an inch of play. It`s odd because evrything was good before all this work.

Hi,

I had a car with a screw holding the drum on, and i had forgotten to fit the wheel on with the small cut out for the screw, the wheel ran wobbly, thought you cant get this with a wide 5 set up?

Odd, will be interested to hear what it is in the end.

Cheers

Alistair

Ok, turns out the right rear was actually toed out. Once that was fixed things are much better. I`m still planning on trying some KYB`s all around and a late model steering box swap. A narrowed sway bar would be nice though.

aogrady said:
Hi,

I had a car with a screw holding the drum on, and i had forgotten to fit the wheel on with the small cut out for the screw, the wheel ran wobbly, thought you cant get this with a wide 5 set up?

Odd, will be interested to hear what it is in the end.

Cheers

Alistair

I had a similar problem running 15" Merc steelies with horseshoe/boomerrang plates. I ended up buying a pair of 5mm spacers and putting a small notch in the outer edge of them with the grinder so they levelled out the wheel on the protruding bolt head. problem solved no more wobble from the back end or stop checks from plod accusing me of having an unsecurely bolted wheel. Watch also the handbrake cable run on the fitting of horse shoe platess as its possible to have them rubbing on the wheel rim. best practice is to have them run thru a hole in the springplate that is scolloped to allow the cable to come thru at a sloping backward anlge and not 90 degrees.

Bryan67 said:
Ok, turns out the right rear was actually toed out. ...
So much for the 4 wheel alignment then - I wouldn't go back there again. :roll:

Yes, I`ve been buying my tires there for years but next time I need an alignment I`ll most likely just do it myself.

Latest posts