Lowering a bay to fit in garage

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danban

Reaction score
Hi all I have lowered my pop top westy and it's on stock wheels and tyres.
What/how do you guys get them to fit in the garage? I have even let the tyres down.
Regards Dan

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Lower them more!

But in all honesty, do you have an odd height garage? Our main problem is our stupid electric door which has a bracket that hangs about a foot below the door. How low are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure i can lower it more without lots of work. What is the best way to drop it?
I have done 2 splines at the back. And adjusters on the front beam

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

How high is your garage door? Is it just the opening or the entire garage that is low? It does sound like your garage is a tight fit in which case you're a bit stuck for options. If it's just the door that hangs low you could look at installing something like roller shutter doors as these give more opening clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lowered my westy to get it in the garage but adding just the dropped spindles did the trick

Had same issue after fitting a poptop to my tintop, also on dropped spindles and adjusters
Replaced the up n over door with wooden barn doors, gained about 6"/15cm

I've lowered mine two splines and adjustable plates and Transporter Haus spindles and slightly smaller tyres and new shocks etc etc to get it in the garage with minimum fuss. I could just about get it in before, but I had to wedge the top of the door up, drive in a bit, then wedge up the middle of the door where the reinforcing bar goes across then move it more when we got to the air vents move it a bit then prop the door elsewhere etc etc etc. Now I have to remember to put the ariel down and get the spare off the roof rack which I only take on longer journeys. The lintel on my garage door has a bit of a problem with concrete cancer, it's a boot lintel that looks four inches inside and twelve inches outside, small parapet wall of four inch bricks with a tastefully designed asbestos big six sheet roof. I don't have an issue with the sheets because they work and won't be disturbed. I do howeverhave an issue with the lintel that is shedding weight more and more every year. I was gonna cast a new one thirty plus years ago but didn't quite get around to it. The idea now is when it collapses, whack a gluelam beam up there and get a roller shutter fitted, might even go back to stock height then or a bit closer to it. I've kept my original plates and spindles so it should be an issue. I just need to keep my eyes open for a gluelam beam that needs re homing.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,sometimes they just will not fit :mrgreen:

Latest posts