Lowering alternative?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ford

Reaction score
OK, I've been thinking, which usually results in somebody losing a finger or something equally exciting but here goes. Has anyone every successfully done, or can give a reason why you can/can't take the center torsion spring mounts out of the front beam completely and then reassemble the front beam using a coil over shock to support and lower a bus? It seems like the "through rods" used by some off road applications would be a very similiar set up. I think I may have even seen a bus kit that used a rod as oppossed to the torsion bars and then used coil overs. If this would work the only items needed to buy would be a set of coil over shocks. Most street rod supply houses sell these for $400 or less and I would think the coil spring ride could be fine tuned to be quite smooth. Any opinions?

Red9 do the kit you are describing

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Trikky2 said:
The shock absorber mountings were never designed to carry the full weight of the bus.

Out of interest, has the above happens as far as anyone knows.

*Sam* said:
Trikky2 said:
The shock absorber mountings were never designed to carry the full weight of the bus.

I ran this for a year or so without any issues, as Trikky states this was never the design intention but, Red9 did their calculations and it works.

creationblue said:
*Sam* said:
Trikky2 said:

I ran this for a year or so without any issues, as Trikky states this was never the design intention but, Red9 did their calculations and it works.
Does the Red9 kit attatch the trailing arms just to each other or is there something else that helps to hold the arms in? Also, Was the center rod designed to flex like a torsion bar or was it just a rod? Lastly, did the Red9 kit include anything to beef up the shock mounts?

Here you go

Picture225.jpg

Picture218.jpg

Picture228.jpg

The lower coil over fixing is the standard pressed-in stud

creationblue said:
Here you go

Picture225.jpg

Picture218.jpg

Picture228.jpg

The lower coil over fixing is the standard pressed-in stud
Super, a picture always makes it better. Thanks!

Latest posts