Lowering my 68'

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalltime_hillbilly

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking into lowering my 68 but not sure where to start, I know how I'm gonna do the rears but the setup on the front beam is confusing me..

I have drums up front, and for originality sake I wanted to keep them, struggling to find drop spindles for them though.
I wanted a nice drop and not bothered about having to tub it as I wanted a narrow beam anyway.. (I want it as low as possible, yet still sort of drivable really)
If I get a new narrowed beam with adjusters can I get any drum brake drop spindles and use them, and dial it in with the adjusters if I wanted to go lower?
Has anyone else lowered there 68 and what did you use :?

Take a look at the French Slammer kit that Graham from Midland Early Bay on here sells. There's a thread in the traders section that shows pictures of buses with it fitted and prices for the full kit with everything you need. Well rated and good value from what I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I've got a quote from him all in about 1800 which is out my price range by far, the drop spindles I'll probly get from them but either put them on my beam or source another less quality one I guess

I've just lowered my 68.

I've got a stock splitty beam with no adjusters,wagens west flipped spindles and kicked adjustable spring plates at the back. Currently stock shocks and running drums all round.
Though I'm changing shocks to gas ones when I can.
Got horseshoes for the back too so I can level it out.
Rides nice for me.

9A193DE0-62AE-4A6C-8E55-725B81FD0828_zps9te2sq5k.jpg

I lowered my 68 almost 3 inches the cheapest way I could without doing the "turn and weld" or remove leaves methods. I welded in Avis bus beam adjusters (larger beam diameter than beetle beam adjusters) in the front and the rear torsion bar was turned one spline (inner/outer I don't remember now). The rear could go down another couple of inches but I like the look of a bit of rake. The ride is definitely rougher but I don't mind it as I avoid the bumpiest roads. The biggest challenge was in getting the leaves back in the front beam. I had to grind down the ends of the leaves that went in first so they would find their way through the retainers in the beam. When you cut or remove some bump stops front and rear ... figure out how the suspension works and make sure you get some front stops in, otherwise you'll have very loud banging when your suspension bottoms out.

The following thread links helped me a bunch during the modification.

Front:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64301&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Rear:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=399837&highlight=torsion+bar
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=23032

Let us know what you decide to do.

Latest posts