Maiden voyage

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cod_Almighty

Reaction score
After nearly 6 months in Afghanistan, my imminent return is due within the next two weeks. Now I first put a deposit on Camilla our 68 Westy import in Feb 08, and after what seemed like a lifetime she arrived in June. She had been sat for quite a few year so we know she needed a little bit of work done and in truth it was only little bits that needed doing. The hard bit was finding the right parts.

Well September came and I had to leave Camilla in the loving hands of my wife, whos idea it was to buy a camper in the first place. I didn’t expect her to have made progress but the darling has managed to find the part and get it fitted by the garage. It is now up and in the road awaiting my arrival in Germany for her maiden voyage. After over a year of owning her we are starting to make plans as to where we are going to spend our first night away. Do we stay local, just in case? Do we push the boat out and go a little further afield? So many places to visit, so little time!

I don’t know who I will be most please to see my wife and kids or Camilla?

Probably a good idea to stay local for the first few hundred miles just in case, its also worth while putting together a small set of spares, just basic items like fan belt, fuses, plugs, rotor arm, leads, dizzy cap, points, condensor, fuel filter, accelerator cable etc and a set of tools.
We had a customer last year recovered by the AA all the way from Scotland to Newark, cutting short their holiday, when all they needed was a rotor arm (which the AA apparently could not source :roll: )!

As its new to you I'd reccomend giving the engine a basic service (including replacing the rubber fuel lines) and checking the brakes for condition and operation. Not that expensive to do and worth it as then you know its been done :)

Fair play mate.If its serviced go far n wide :mrgreen:
Pix please 8)

Latest posts