Mater from San Lorenzo

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new gauges turned up today :D After many hours of searching I decided these were as close to the original dials that I was going to find

IMG_1050_zpstrqmd9x6.jpg

fat duk said:
Nice gauges where did they come from dude
Thanks, got them from here http://www.vwispwest.com/311018903WHY.html?p=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got stung by parcel force and customs & a weak ££ makes them quite expensive, but worth it I think if your trying to keep everything kinda original looking. Its a hard thing (for me anyway) getting old and new to work visually!! i will put a pic up of them fitted next week when all is done.

Just picked the Van up from Quayside Vw so though best do this now while its current, sorry for a long boring list but to keep my history 100% here goes!!

New 1776 Engine, Camshaft broken in as to supplier instruction (23,516)
Tune the Dell's
New Clutch(Complete kit)
Permanent weld to cooling flaps on fan housing
New shifter, gear coupling and bushes
New gearbox oil
Oil pressure & temp gauges wired in to new senders
New welded oil filter bracket
Welded up tinware holes and heat exchanger
Steering box, drag link & oil
New fan belt
Friction plate
doghouse tinware
Dizzy drive (Genuine)
New oil pipes
Feel pump pedestal

Its my birthday today and the two best upgrades are the Monkey from my Lad and foot from my daughter. Pretty good really as I was thinking every man and his dog would get me vw mugs and various memorabilia with the wrong bus on (late!!)

A few pics
PA070005_zpsuvvzc65y.jpg

PA070002_zpsipnuvvhm.jpg

PA070001_zpsykswjpzz.jpg

PA100008_zpsae0cmczb.jpg

PA070004_zpsxswgpkho.jpg

PA120013_zpszz0dhjha.jpg

PA130034_zpshfcb6ljh.jpg

PA130037_zpsd84x3amc.jpg

PA130032_zpsnue2q5xa.jpg

PA130033_zpsv2srrt2i.jpg

PA130027_zpsvig6z8jg.jpg

Next up I'm going American, got my eyes open for some 15'' Splitty wheels that are going to be mounted on some all-terrains. Hoping this will make my gears longer as I'm on a stock box. Also my speedo is running a little fast so that should re calibrate closer to a true reading. And finally I love the look, high is the new low :shock: Cheers

thanks for update. Amazing! So how does it run with all the upgrades, gear change, engine wise and monkey wise???

Robcod said:
So how does it run with all the upgrades, gear change, engine wise and monkey wise???

Very happy with it Rob. The engine is very responsive and is very noticeable although I'm in the breaking in period for another 500miles so can't say for sure. My mechanic said not to take it over 50mph during the run in period and to use the rev range well. Wont take me long to do 500 though. Love the way it sounds and ticks over, a roaring beast lol

The shifter upgrade is a strange one, its super solid with a tight short shift and tbh absolutely perfect, its as reliable as any modern day car/van. It doesn't feel like a bay though, its just to good. I really did like the 1ft between gears (stirring the pudding bowl) but not when approaching a round about and struggling to find 2nd. Its a definite trade off that needs to be thought about. If you want to maintain charm and character and the will I find it or not feeling at roundabouts then its not an upgrade to consider. If you want 100% reliability and smoothness then its great. I wanted both :lol: but don't think its achievable so I'm happy. The new clutch is very light on the left foot which is going to take some getting used to.

The recon steering box that went on is a really good one and has made a difference

The gauges speak for themselves really, aesthetically pleasing and great to have an idea of whats going on.

The Monkey I love, matchings the charm of the bus and metallic brown VW badge 8)

Man you are well ahead of me on the upgrades. I definitely need to do something about the gear change. Ive put an empi on there for now but will definitely get a CSP after christmas!!! Sounds great.

Ive got a dynamo/connector, starter issue thing to work out first. I will watch with interest how you get on with the engine on longer trips when its run in.

Ive only done a one long trip since I've had mine and the steering seems fine but I've also noticed a knocking at rest so will most likely add a midland early bay rebuild in at some point in the future.
You've done well buying your bay and sensible upgrades. Im sure you will enjoy it for years to come. I had a late bay which was good but slowly rusted away and its much more fun spending money on upgrades than welding all the time. I love your thread and I'm sure others do to :)

Thanks for the Kind words Rob :D

Funny about the steering box, all I had was a knock at rest and was happy with it tbh. I thought id just get it done as I had a spare and it was going into the garage. Now its been done though I can see how much slop/play there actually was, but being a 1st time bay owner just thought that was the way it was!! All the best mate

Hi Craig,

Are you using a beelte front tin?
Better change that for a proper fitting bus version!

PA070004_zpsxswgpkho.jpg

Dirty Harry said:
Hi Craig,

Are you using a beelte front tin?
Better change that for a proper fitting bus version!

PA070004_zpsxswgpkho.jpg
I think that is Beetle front tin, you mean the air deflector plate? I know new doghouse tinware was added as well as some other bits so that pic may be confusing the end product. The guy that put it in builds lots of 1776 engines for buses so I have faith in whatever he done in the end, he did mention about needing to make some mods and additions but I didn't really take it in tbh so it may have got swapped out. I am very much a put it in the garage and let the pro's deal with it kinda of a guy, not that I'm ignorant to learning but just don't have the time to get involved (or the patience!!)

cheers

Your dials go really well with them chrome rings on your dash Craig.

All in the details...

Unsure if you have wheels yet? But If not there is a set on facebook on the usual groups as week speak.

Unsure if you have wheels yet? But If not there is a set on facebook on the usual groups as week speak.

*Sam* said:
Thanks for the heads up Sam, I found some on the SSVC forum so I'm all sorted now thanks. They are pretty hard to come by so hopefully a good investment, Cheers

Well the Splitty rims turned up quicker than I thought so got them mounted a little while ago. No mods, totally stock and the clearance is sweet with no rubbing. Quite a crowd gathered, quite funny really!! Some random guy stopped me in the high street and asked where I got it as he didn't know you could buy a 4x4 version :lol:

Things that I instantly notice were that the turning of the wheel whilst stainonary was considerably easier, the steering on the move seems a little tighter and 3rd gear is very noticeably longer which next to looks was the second main factor for larging it up. Not had a chance to check the speedo calibration so will come back with that when I get some decent out and about pics to put on. 1st impressions again are that I'm very happy with my choice & I will give a honest update if all goes to s**t. Oh nearly forgot I tripped into the cab.....I may need some steps, Thanks for looking

IMG_1101_zps5gcxpkfg.jpg

IMG_1102_zpsldpbmkck.jpg

IMG_1103_zpsoduu6biz.jpg

Latest posts