Meet "Lucy"

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee152

Reaction score
Greetings, been on a few months nosying around and thought Id get a few photos together of my first EB, as I know thats what you like! Previously had a LB and T25 and old enough to remember when Bug Jam was full of Beetles and buses were cheap!
After acquiring this bus from Conrad Smoot from Oregon (thoroughly recommend) via a mate on this forum I signed up to find some excellent info and some witter banter!
(sorry, but so much better than the LB forum)
I give you Lucy (taken from the Oregon plate, LSC 020)

A few pics from the US of A of my pearl white Westy pop top, bought and collected by a
Mr Heritage (I kid you not!) from the Hannover factory on the 11th June 1969.
He took it back to Fremont California were it was serviced to 37,000 miles by VW Dealers, Mezzettis. (Service history book stamped). This mileage was all in the first three years! Some serious travelling.
Mr Heritage and family then moved to Sutherlin in Oregon in 1979 where it managed to cover another measly 19,000 miles before I acquired it! Last time it had been registered and presumably on the road was 1997.
Tried to get a bit more history but believe Mr Heritage passed away in 2008. So low mileage and only one owner just goes to show there still out there.

Assume it was out in the open in the weeds given the rust trails on the front panel. In Oregon it got new CV boots, brake hoses and a year matched engine swap as the original was too far gone. Guessing the cargo floor which was missing was rotten but considering it’s only needed cab floor sides and battery tray it’s solid as a rock. Paint is chipped and scratched in a few places but nothing major and besides I like it.

Nice arse!

That looks so high!

Cab floor hole!

And a little bit on the battery tray

Complete interior apart from stool

Good nick

Now got new front shocks after a little lowering

And yes, moved the fuel filter out of the engine bay

Bus went straight from Felixstowe (windy day on the back of a trailer, scary!) to Matt Balls to give it the once over, mild lowering and rewiring for the MOT. Passed with flying colours....
Got loads more pics of tidying up since its arrival but this is my favourite pic so far.

Attitude!

Apologise some of the photos are huge, really should I have resized them.
Thanks for looking.

Lee

68_early_bay said:
Lee152 said:
Got loads more pics of tidying up since its arrival but this is my favourite pic so far.

Attitude!
Lee

Nice 8)

Your westie roof reminds me of what ours used to look like!! And yes that is Gadget!! :lol:

Bit of duct tape and that would have been sorted! mine is now out so going commando till end of camping season. Catch me at Action with my missus getting her top off in full view of the rest of the campsite!

Lee152 said:
Bit of duct tape and that would have been sorted! mine is now out so going commando till end of camping season. Catch me at Action with my missus getting her top off in full view of the rest of the campsite!
:lol: :lol:

Ta for all the comments. :D

I like it knarly and showing its scars. Fair play to those that keep/restore buses shiny and pristine. Nothing but admiration for their dedication, time and effort put in. What makes VW campers such a great mixed bunch..... including split owners. (Brad! the money you just spent on that Samba you could have bought an EB, a Beetle and a Ghia and still had a change )
Hope to see some of you around at Action, Brighton Breeze and maybe Grill and Chill

Lee

That bus is a beauty, i have some more pics of the day we rescued her too. The story i got from the PO was that some guys came in with a Jeep & couldn't get the bus to budge it had been sitting so long. A couple whacks on the drums with a big hammer later, my friend & i pushed it out of a swampy field by hand. Great bus! I'm glad she will be well taken care of.

Latest posts