Modern and custom made ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velgreeno

Reaction score
Hey folks. Well once again i have a matter of interest (i know ha) and this time its what's folks views on those parts like safari windows for Bays, bluetooth distributors etc etc, (actually what other gadgets and modern parts are there these days which improve things ?, Are you a yeah lets get them on or are you a no way i love our buses how they came from the factory type of folk ? I think for me I'm all for making things run the best way possible but as long as its hidden or looks factory like. As for things like safari windows, well. The back rear window I'm not going to lie, i would love one not just because they look cool but i think it would be good to air out the back of the bus etc etc. Those front safaris though i have seen on Bays, well il pass because i can see me driving along one hand on the window and one on the steering wheel and when someone asks me, what am i doing ? il just say I'm scared it might fall off and them thinking okaaay as you were Gaz as you were 😕😆 like a scene from Some mothers do av em and no, i can see leaks coming in, window smashing and all kinds of bad ha aaand not to mention the price 😲. So what do we think ? Anything caught your eyes and thought i want that for my bus ? 🤙

intermittent wiper switch upgrade https://www.revolutionelectronics.com/Products/vw-int-wiper/
H4 headlights, LED bulbs.

I do have a Winterburn CDI and CB black box on my type 3 with a 1968cc motor and it has been a nice improvement for drivability with the Dellortos and not having chokes, It provides some modern tuning ability from a laptop

Original….but by choice as it was the cheapest option and most of what I had to rebuild was what came originally. So as much as I’d like to improve - in the end it just worked out that way. Would love discs and a bigger engine.
Maybe next time around.
🌈👍

intermittent wiper switch upgrade https://www.revolutionelectronics.com/Products/vw-int-wiper/
H4 headlights, LED bulbs.

I do have a Winterburn CDI and CB black box on my type 3 with a 1968cc motor and it has been a nice improvement for drivability with the Dellortos and not having chokes, It provides some modern tuning ability from a laptop

Alternatively, you could have a rain-sensing, variable-interval, intermittent windscreen-wiper controller

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/raintracker_rt50.php

1.jpg

2.jpg

327978.jpg

Refer to the following article for more details:

Nigel A. Skeet, "Rain Tracker™ RT-50, Universal, Rain-Sensing, Automatic Windscreen-Wiper Controller", Transporter Talk, Issue 77, June 2005, Pages 38~43.

TT77%20June%202005%20Front%20Cover%20-%20Raintracker.jpg

TT77%20%20June%202005%20Pages%2038~39%20-%20Raintracker.jpg

TT77%20June%202005%20Pages%2040~41%20-%20Raintracker.jpg

TT77%20%20June%202005%20Pages%2042~43%20-%20Raintracker.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer, subtle additions, but aftermarket technology has come a long way since our buses rolled off the production line.

Intermittent wipers, electric window washer, hot start relay, are all useful fit and forget items, and there are many others things I’ve done to improve reliability and drivability.

Distributors have come a long way, I’ve tried plenty over the years but nothing compares to the flexibility I now have with the 123 Bluetooth Tune+

I try to keep the van as stock as possible, but I’m not going to cut my nose off to spite my face trying to use poorly made repro stuff thinking it was as well made as things were back in the day.

“Alternatively, you could have a rain-sensing, variable-interval, intermittent windscreen-wiper controller…”

If I could locate one that was also free-range, cruelty-free, whole-grain, locally-sourced, home-schooled, handmade, over-dressed, underweight, high-octane, low-emissions, stainless-steel and gluten-free, then I’d certainly be interested.

Latest posts