More help needed, engine running sluggish.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andys

Reaction score
After getting the accelerator pedal sorted the van is now sluggish when pulling off, and judders when in low gears. other than that it runns grate.
Any ideas before i start stripping the carb. :?

Before stripping the carb, check everything else - Valve Gaps, ignition timing, points, rotor arm & cap, plug lead condition and also that the carb is tuned correctly

Did you connect the cable with the throttle pedal flat to the floor, and a 1mm gap between the throttle arm on the carb and the carb body?

noddy said:
Did you connect the cable with the throttle pedal flat to the floor, and a 1mm gap between the throttle arm on the carb and the carb body?

No but i will refit it tonight if you think it will help.
Thanks Andy

The cable should be installed with the pedal in the fully raised positionand the cable gently pulled with the end gripped in some vice type grips to assist holding it while you do the clamp bolt up. The carb should be in the "cold idle" position - whether the adjusting screw touches the fast idle cam will depend on that carb you have.
Once you have tightened the cable you should have someone help you by pressing on the acc pedal to ensure you are achievng full throttle. Assuming you have the stock Solex carb & stock pedal & linkage then achieving full throttle shoudl be no problem when adjusted as I suggest.

If you engine is still sluggish then I suggest checking the things I outlined above

I disagree Bugman
How can you guarantee that on fully depressed peddle that the throttle arm is not bottoming out on the carb body and causing the cable to get stretched, or that you are getting full throttle?
From what I remember the bentley manual says there must be a 1mm gap between the throttle arm and the carb body, the best way to do this is to:
1. depress the peddle fully with a brick or similar
2. pull the throttle arm on the carb to the open position with out the return spring till it traps a 1mm feeler gauge
3. then do up the barrel nut to clamp the cable end

Setting this way, peddle flat to floor you will have max permissible movement in the throttle arm without bottoming out.

Latest posts