Mud Flaps

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panic_fan

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
microbus
I am thinking about buying some mud flaps for my bus. I am not sure which ones to buy. I dont see anything on my 1970 that looks like others mounting spots?
Anyone have any luck with these and or Pictures????

don't hink you can without welding stuff on yourself ..... check out the link
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/70deluxe/back.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if you look at the pic of the back, there are no flaps, and in the tiny writing on the extras bit, there is no mention of flaps, so my thinking is that they weren't meant to be put on your model. I've a 72 and would love flaps on my bay, too, but I can't see where you would be able to fix them, either... :(
Hopefully someone can say I'm wrong!

Hi Rich, i got some nice Empi mud flaps for Christmas that came with a bar to hang them from.
However i ca`nt work out how this fits to my van, as they came without fitting instructions :?
If anyone knows how to fit them, let me know, as the wife says they ca`nt stay on the dining table forever :roll:
Cheers Paul.

I put some of the empi ones on the rear ... couldnt figure the bracket bit though .. i just drilled through the lower edge of the splash plate and bolted them on ... :roll: ... don't all cringe at once ..

Hilly

Pretty sure when i had some fitted they were bolted through the splash plates, removed them during some body mods but i'm also thinking about fitting some new flaps

Hilly_70 said:
I put some of the empi ones on the rear ... couldnt figure the bracket bit though .. i just drilled through the lower edge of the splash plate and bolted them on ... :roll: ... don't all cringe at once ..

Hilly

No Cringe here! I was thinking that is what I am gonna have to do. When possible, you think you could get a pic of your mounting skillz? :D I found some vw ones for 55 a set. Thats a good price I think, but I will have to bolt them somehow.

panic_fan said:
Hilly_70 said:

Hilly

No Cringe here! I was thinking that is what I am gonna have to do. When possible, you think you could get a pic of your mounting skillz? :D I found some vw ones for 55 a set. Thats a good price I think, but I will have to bolt them somehow.
I think Just Kampers sell VWones for £30, got my Empi ones from them.
No fitting instructions though :?
I will have another go at fitting mine today, i`ll let you know how i get on :wink:

After a couple of hours of trial fitting, i finally got them on my van!
I had to redrill bolt holes, to lift them up and they just clear the ground!
They bolt through bumper mount bracket and to bumper splash plates.
Hope this helps,
Che
winter08043.jpg
ers Paul.

Finally scored some cheap MUD FLAPS w/ VW logo! They were only $25(us) for the pair!
Now I just have to decide how to mount. I think I will just have to drill into the splash guard behind wheel. My 70 has nowhere to mount with brackets like others models.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-VW-Mud-Flaps-Mudflaps-Vintage-Rare-Original_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem170295831080QQitemZ170295831080QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi i fitted some mud flaps to my 69 westy last year, no drilling required. I used some "channel nuts" available from electrical wholesalers (i am a sparky). Basicly they are just a rectangle about 25 mm by 45 mm 5mm thick with a thread in the centre and a groove near each end if you have the right tools you may be able to make something. I just clamped the flap to the bottom of the wheel arch and gave it a dose of waxoyl to keep the crud out. Hope this is of help.

dave said:
Hi i fitted some mud flaps to my 69 westy last year, no drilling required. I used some "channel nuts" available from electrical wholesalers (i am a sparky). Basicly they are just a rectangle about 25 mm by 45 mm 5mm thick with a thread in the centre and a groove near each end if you have the right tools you may be able to make something. I just clamped the flap to the bottom of the wheel arch and gave it a dose of waxoyl to keep the crud out. Hope this is of help.

Keyword...no Drilling!
I know the channel nuts, not sure how you used them though. If you get time, a pic would be fantastic. Thanks dave

Sorry unable to do pics at moment but will try to describe as best as possible, each side i used 4 channel nuts, 2 x m6 2 x m6 clearance, place bolt through clearance nut then through mud flap, then thread threaded nut on, do this twice for each flap, then simply clamp to the bottom of wheel arch splash panel, hope this helps. any questions i'll try to answer. Good luck!!

I really don't like the idea of wanging them on with self tappers.
Have pulled a fair few off by hand as they become a water/muck trap.

ProfessorWheeto said:
I really don't like the idea of wanging them on with self tappers.
Have pulled a fair few off by hand as they become a water/muck trap.

I thought about that, but it isnt my daily driver...so I dont think I will have any problems there. I have had it for almost a year and it hasnt seen rain once! It stays in the garage unless the sun is shining! :p

Might get away with it if you remove them and clean behind when you do your yearly waxoyling then?

I've seen a few aussie ones held on with gate hinges, simple but effective :lol:

Got my flaps installed. Used a couple metal hinges and a few bolts. Simple, and it worked well.
Peace!

P2012046.jpg

P2012062.jpg

P2012064.jpg

Found this and thought it might be useful to somone:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=340421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts