My 1969 Deluxe

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before
photo18ri.jpg

After
photo28m.jpg

Spent more time removing glue and other gunk from the cab, horrible job but one side done.

Before
photo19pc.jpg

After
photo29s.jpg

you're a very lucky man in finding that, my friend...
what a beauty ! good work on it too :mrgreen:

squirt72 said:
you're a very lucky man in finding that, my friend...
what a beauty ! good work on it too :mrgreen:

Thank you.
Thought I'd show you guys some of the cool items of this bus' history:
Original handbook/manual with the PO's writings in and maintenance every six months. Very cool.

photo114sv.jpg

photo36t.jpg

photo213q.jpg

photo10pbm.jpg

Spent all day yesterday washing, polishing and waxing. Used the Collinite wax for the first time and so far so good. Raining today and the rain is beading but I think it needs another coat.
Very similar pictures to those I took last year.

photo111m.jpg

photo3fvx.jpg

To do list

MOT June 27th
Indicator stalk moving
Check/Replace gear bushes
New exhaust
Passenger side door handle - locking barrel needs replacing
Passenger side reflector needs replacing
Bumpers powder coating
Wheels powder coating
New Overrider rubbers

Supertramp said:

This arrived today from Status. I'm still not sure that it will fit the bit needing welding as there is no curve on the bottom right but I'll leave that for the welder to decide. He comes on Monday.
Spent yesterday/this morning stripping out all the seals and cleaning up the inserts.

Hi,
Can you tell me what you think of the quality of the cargo floor panels you bought from Status? Have you fitted them yet? Great bus by the way, a great find!

LV

Lordain Volley said:
Supertramp said:

This arrived today from Status. I'm still not sure that it will fit the bit needing welding as there is no curve on the bottom right but I'll leave that for the welder to decide. He comes on Monday.
Spent yesterday/this morning stripping out all the seals and cleaning up the inserts.

Hi,
Can you tell me what you think of the quality of the cargo floor panels you bought from Status? Have you fitted them yet? Great bus by the way, a great find!

LV

Pm'd

Had the bus cleaned underneath and Dinitrol applied, including inside and all the cavities so now protected for the winter!

29c3.jpg

z02z.jpg

ljt2.jpg

eypw.jpg

xg9o.jpg

So my seal adventure continues. After months of leaking quarter-lights, despite already having them replaced, I finally got the side window out today (with the help of national windscreens).
Fortunately the window surrounds are fine:

ofj3.jpg

65zu.jpg

The same can't be said for the 1/4 frames:
ch38.jpg

n48d.jpg

The glass frame is fine though:
2i3x.jpg

So now I need to source a new (ORIGINAL!!) frame and my window currently looks like this:
7kvl.jpg

We have the left hand, ignore the description, it's not beetle!

http://m.vwheritage.com/productDetails.cfm?iItemID=79982" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Took my brother to uni so packed up the bus with all his stuff.
b8281ea0786bfe151845cd040e7b21e5.jpg

w35d.jpg

Apart from the weight, I was amazed at the difference in the noise. So much quieter and nicer to drive. Makes me want my soundproofing now!

I got the rest of the windows out a couple of weeks ago. Took the windscreen guy about 2 hours to do one. Took me all of 15 minutes to do three. Trick is to get the metal trim out first :lol:
Anyway, I think I found the cause of my leaks (apart from the shockingly poor fitting of the seals)
80id.jpg

w9dy.jpg

xjdz.jpg

g6cx.jpg

glyk.png

The rust sits in the exact points water was leaking in, that's no coincidence.
I've also got a couple of NOS black frames to start restoring all the 1/4 windows. On one of them the pin has snapped off so will have to have that drilled out and restored. The other two are fine.

Now, what to do about these window surrounds.

(Also, this is a lesson to always do things yourself and never to trust the 'experts'.

Latest posts