my 1971 danburyfalia pop top project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Camperdan said:
Great work!

Ref the wheels... I'd have to say that although I'd never have thought it..... I just love the look of those porker spares..... they look kind of stock but with a high performance mean air about them :evil:
.... are you sure you can't get them to fit?

id would really love to get them on as because they are aluminium they can be mirror polished. i think they look like mk2 golf g60 steel wheels they all the water cooled boys run in the winter only with a bit of a twist (no rust marks all over them)

surfbus said:
Go for the teledials! They're my favorite... 8)

the tele is just a spare to go on the racks. i dont have a full set of them. the teledials i have for my van are the a set that someone had chrome dipped some time ago and a rather tatty set of 16" ones too. though i dont know how they will look with the cream colour that we have picked for the paint

STA72993.jpg

picked these up today from volksworld. ebay purchase, couldnt resist :oops:

1967 porsche 912/911 steel rims with tyres and chrome centres. chuffed to bits with them. they came off the peach coloured split downstairs at volksworld (before he took it off the road for a 6 year resto). sadly my hubs are away now for the forseable future so cant try them on :(

porschesteels.jpg

went round the workshop today inspired by the vans a saw at volksworld yesterday.

started work on the engine

made a steel blanking plate to get rid of the water feed to the heater matrix as this part of the engine will be up against the fire wall

adapter2.jpg

then began fitting the adapter plate and flywheel

adapter1.jpg

adapter4.jpg

adapter3.jpg

i know that its a bit of a marmite subject going to water cooled but the chip fat at work is buildiing up and someone needs to burn it :D

had a day on the van today. trying to get it ready for when the brakes come back from futbus.

drive shafts took me 4 hours to clean up. sadly the rubbers were too perished so have a full set on there way from jk. didnt realise there was a hole in one til id spent ages cleaning them up

driveshaft5.jpg

driveshaft4.jpg

driveshaft3.jpg

driveshaft2.jpg

painted with por15. ill do the ends later this week then re pack them with high temp grease

driveshaft1.jpg

clutch fitted. 228 mm wasa boxer. £88 all in. im sure when i wind up the power in the future i will be glad of the bigger diameter but for now it just feels like more expense

clutch1.jpg

clutch2.jpg

then joined these two together

enginegbox1.jpg

enginegbox3.jpg

starter fits like a glove

enginegbox2.jpg

og golf turbo pipes removed so i can measure the diameters to buy some silicone hosing to reach the charge cooler and back

enginegbox4.jpg

had a great day until i watched match of the day. not a great day to be a boro fan. only saving grace is the other two teams from the north east are just as sh#te (if not a bit worse :D ) than us. boo his. :oops: i dont even know what day the championship highlights are on the box. :evil:

cheers mate. i bet the boro will be last on that program too(like the are on match of the day 9 out of 10 times :evil: )

Nelly said:
Sorry to change the subject from football but that g/box loks nice 8)

cheers mate. it was a scary moment cutting 11mm off the input shaft to get it to fit with the kennedy kit. hows your van coming on? i spend most nights in bed planning my rad set up in my head (sad i know) i cant wait to get it in the van and turn it over. i want to build the whole thing in primer so i know it all works then get it sprayed.

That sounds like a good idea, the primer build it will save repainting bits after ;)
Where are you putting the rad?
Between the chassis rails?

hi nelly, hope your bus is coming on well. after seeing you cutting out some nice painted metal i thought it would be a good idea to build it fully before it sees any spray. id hate to have to scrap nice paint off to weld a bracket on etc :evil:

rad set up should be 2 x golf mk2 1.8 rads. with the front one tilted up at the front. the the back one tilted up at the back in an inverted paralelogram. then this will be seal in a sheet alloy box.
the idea is the air wil enter through the front rad and out the rear. i will fit an adjustable scoop on the front rad that i hope to connect to the unused air adjusters on the dash. which i hope to use when i come across a speed bump.
i plan on using four 12" slim fans the front two sucking and the rear two blowing. two rads (one front, one rear diagonally) will be connected to one rad stat switching AT 90 degrees. the other two fans will then come in on the second stat at say 98 degrees on hot days etc.

obviously this hasnt been tested so i could be sat at the side of the m1 in a cloud of steam
the first time i get it running. :D

finally got a bit more progress on the van on friday and today.

track cover cleaned up and primed

slidetrackcover.jpg

began cleaning up my rear bumper that has about 5mm of filler and stone chip on it. it has some holes in it but i am told to stick with it and get it to look right as the cost a fortune in good condition

rearbump2.jpg

rearbump1.jpg

i was hoping for nice powder coated bumpers but a skim and paint is the order of the day for this one

then on friday i split the engine and gbox again and did this

gbox3.jpg

gbox2.jpg

gbox1.jpg

followed by this which was a rather un successfull trial engine fit due to being on my own

enginefit2.jpg

enginefit3.jpg

enginefit4.jpg

then after poping up to elsecar megameet on sunday (water cooled dub show) i carried on up the m1 to halifax to pick this up

bmx1.jpg

bmx2.jpg

bmx3.jpg

bmx4.jpg

bmx5.jpg

mid school gt performer from 92/93 which i have wasted no time in stripping to now get completely side tracked with. no doubt wasted a fortune on z rims and nos parts.

when i think of the parts me and my mate threw away as teenagers. i remember poping 180's to try and snap skyways back in the day

then today with two friends and still not engine lift this went in on the end of a trolley jack with the engine bar as an insurance policy. £1300 on gbox adapter engine clutch etc. brown trouser moments

enginein3.jpg

enginein4.jpg

enginein6.jpg

emginein2.jpg

tricky stuff...

i went through a few Skyways in my day :lol: nearly lost my nuts doing a cherry picker :shock:

been trying to get some work done on the van of late. but two local lads are now storing their vans around my yard. one is a late bay with a westy roof on it, and the other one is this (which i just like standing and looking at).

samsvan2.jpg

samsvan1.jpg

samsvan3.jpg

i am very envious :D its a us panel and is super straight. soon to be fitted with some 15" splitty steels and a little closer to the tarnac when we get a look into the suspension. it has gaz coilovers all round but the rear end bounces around a bit so we think it may be wound too stiff.

managed to stop staring at it for long enough to do a bit of work on the engine bar today

engbar1.jpg

engbar2.jpg

engbar3.jpg

engbar4.jpg

engbar5.jpg

engbar7.jpg

engbar8.jpg

engbar6.jpg

spent a good while with a protractor get the angales right then whacked the welder up and got blazing.

i just need to weld some gusetting on the joins for a bit extra strength. then sort out some engine mounts onto it

Latest posts