my 1971 danburyfalia pop top project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mcvw said:
Top work Andy - this is gonna be a very sorted bus!

Out of interest - where are you getting your panels from (front wheel tubs, cab floor etc)? Any "issues" with panels etc?

all my panels are from schofields, ive only ever bought from them as i feel they know their sh#t.

all panels ive ever fitted req a good bit of tickling here and there the tubs are genuine, doors too (but crap), front skin and inner front panel. but even that doesnt gaurentee a good fit.

Loxy said:
Top work as always 8)
Dont suppose you are thinking of getting rid of that pair of 6 inch cookies in one of the earlier pictures???

sorry mate they are keepers for now i got a full set of 4 for £28 on ebay and picked up a fifth for about a tenner.

all rubbered up just waiting for the van to be done :D

Well done on the work so far!
One day I will be able to do what you have done so far :mrgreen:

andewilson said:
Loxy said:
Top work as always 8)
Dont suppose you are thinking of getting rid of that pair of 6 inch cookies in one of the earlier pictures???

sorry mate they are keepers for now i got a full set of 4 for £28 on ebay and picked up a fifth for about a tenner.

all rubbered up just waiting for the van to be done :D

Thought as much :lol:

I "bagged" a set of 4 6x15s from a well known vw garage, they double checked them and everything when they got here - 2x6s & 2x7s.......
Would you go to a garage that cant even tell the width of a rim - or the difference between fronts & rears - even after you told them what to look for on the phone????

The search continues.....

the 7x15 cookies have an offset of about 25 so if you fit them on the back with a 23mm adapter it gives you an et of 2. a standard set of brms are about an et of 5. so fiting the 7's on the rear would give you a great stuffed look. and the the high offset 6's will give you a great tuck on the front. best of both worlds. 185 65 15 on the back 175 50 15 on the fronts

:D :D

The space savers on page 7...... are they porsche 944 ones?
Are they ok for normal use on a bus (not speed restricted) ?
Also are they 5 x 130 stud pattern and good offset for a bus?

Think they look awesome with the lo-pro tyres 8)

Thanks alot.

Matt.

blondiedread said:
The space savers on page 7...... are they porsche 944 ones?
Are they ok for normal use on a bus (not speed restricted) ?
Also are they 5 x 130 stud pattern and good offset for a bus?

Think they look awesome with the lo-pro tyres 8)

Thanks alot.

Matt.

hi. they are made of 10mm thick aluminium so i they should be well up to the job as a normal wheel. it is the collapsable tyres that are speed rated and they were very old and hard to remove. they are 5.5j x 15. the offset is et30 so with an adapter they will be et5 which correct me if im wrong is the same as a brm rep. my plan is to get them mirror polished to go on the bus. they are originally off a 944 turbo 1986 and were all bought one at a time on ebay for peanuts. there is one on there at the moment for £85 buy it now which is a bit rich but they are pretty rare (not just ebay rare).

Loving the space savers, (They're kinda like the Speedlines on my 205 GTI - my favorite wheel 8) )
Have you had them on your bus? With 25mm adaptors? I assume they fitted with the tyres you mentioned.

Thanks again.

Matt.

not had any rims on the car since it came off the road 2.5 years ago really. all the rims i have for it should fit as long as you keep the offset around et5 or above it should sneek in just past the rear arches.

bit of progress on the van off late. finished the cab floor on both sides just needs a tickle to clean up. then dragged the seats out of my loft to try them out and weld them in

fl3.jpg

fl4.jpg

fl6.jpg

fl7.jpg

fl8.jpg

fl9.jpg

seat1.jpg

seat2.jpg

seat3.jpg

i have some 10mm x 25mm steel strip cut and threaded that bolt to the bottem on the seat runners. these will be welded to the arch tub as opposed to drilling through. as i aim to go loooooooooooooow at would hate to snag a tyre with an encroaching seat bolt :?

Seats look good mate 8)
She will be gettin a few show and shine awards,
If not best ice install mate. ;)

Nelly said:
Seats look good mate 8)
She will be gettin a few show and shine awards,
If not best ice install mate. ;)

cheers mate the seats were an ebay bargain about two years ago £103 for the pair. i dont know whether they are leather or pleather as they have been trimmed at some point, the black bits are og but the fronts are tan. i think i am going to trim the rest of the bus to match.

some more pics of the progress, (this paternaty leave is great :D )

seat4.jpg

seat5.jpg

seat6.jpg

seat7.jpg

seat8.jpg

the seats are now back in the loft waiting for the van to be sprayed. then they will get bolted back in for good.

did a bit more on the van this morning too. im trying to get all the little bits done that at the start of the project i would have probably ignored. but as my skills have improved i look back at the previous owners repair and want to redo the lot :evil:

the windo frame behind the drivers door

osw1.jpg

osw3.jpg

osw4.jpg

osw5.jpg

osw6.jpg

osw7.jpg

osw8.jpg

tommorrows job will be to sort this shocking repair. then drill the swage line for the trim

osw2.jpg

nice welding there dude, will be ready in no time,

just wondering have you reinforced the area around the rear bulkheads after removing them? or are they being replaced, or having swivel seats?

andewilson said:
then drill the swage line for the trim

let me know how you did this job. interested in seeing how the clips go on and how you got the trim straight.

all clips fit with self tappers. which i will probably replace with stainless ones when its sprayed.

i got the measurements off a guy on here where the holes are req'd. i may bend a strip of steel around the swage line and pilot drill through it to make sure the line follows its way around the bus.

Latest posts