My 1971 Dormobile

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spend a night alone with my wife in the Surfbus... :mrgreen: And the kids away to the grandparents!
Surfbusinduingras.jpg

BusEvelinehangmat.jpg

busvak.jpg

Buspompoenen.jpg

The surfbus got a new MOT.
Next week the bus gets the roofgutter repaired and sprayed again. This was because of a small accident the surfbus had with his/er new home. :cry:
dakrekcrash2.jpg

dakrekcrash3.jpg

And my insurence let's me buy a new roofrack as well! :mrgreen:

The roofgutter and the damage to the roof are restored.
I'm now waiting for the new roofrack. (wich as to be customized to fit the roof)
Tonight i'am going to start cleaning the underside of the bus. And then putt new tectyl (i think it's the same word in english) at the underside.

Bus_herstel1.jpg

Bus_herstel2.jpg

Last week i got my new roofrack from CustomSpeedParts (Germany). It will replace the roofrack wich was backfolded by a rope of my garagedoor... :cry:
In 2 weeks the bus will go to shop wich respayed the backpart of the roof. They will customize the roofrack so it will fit 100 %.
And then it should look like this (again):

IMG_9083.jpg

Then it's time to mount the newe brakecalipers and do some small jobs on the Surfbus. The new summerseason is there before you know it!

Hi Surfbus - loving your camper, but I'm a bit confused about the camper conversion. I don't think it's a Dormobile. It definitely has the Martin Walker roof used by Dormobile but the position of the roof it is too far back to be a proper Dormie conversion. Take a look at http://www.marksvwcollectibles.co.uk/interior1.htm to see what I mean. Your interior looks different too.

The roof is from Dormobile. Probably it's putt on by a dutch company called Amescador. The way the roof is mounted makes it a Amescador version.
I bought it with this (later bay) westfalia-interior. Volkwagen sold campers with an Dormobile/Martin Walker roof conversion and a westfalia-interior...
Ii works great for me and my family!

Nope, not yet. First we have to make a full list of stuff we want to order and friends of also want to order, so we wait for them too. I do want to order this month though. :)

This afternoon i put the new roofrack together. Tomorrow i'll bring it with the bus to the repairshop so they can customize the rear legs of the roofrack to fit my roof/gutter.

IMG_3631.jpg

Yesterday i went for a drive with a friend of mine. I took the bus and he his 1303 beetle.

busrek3.jpg

The new roofrack is fitted om the back.

busrek2.jpg

busrek1.jpg

Jorisbus.jpg

It's my son being very happy with the bus!

DJJoris.jpg

This is why i drive a bus.... so much space!

Joris.jpg

My son getting started in the world of aircooled vw's. I hope he'll change his mind! :mrgreen:

2 Weeks ago i put the new calipers and disks on.
rem1.jpg

Old caliper off.

rem2.jpg

The sealing in the old caliper looked bad.

rem3.jpg

Adaptors wich are fitted to the late bay calipers. With this i still can drive with early bay brakedisks. (sorry for the blurry photo)

rem4.jpg

New brakedisk on.

rem5.jpg

New brakedisk+caliper.

rem6.jpg

Heating the end of brakeline so the bolt comes off.

rem7.jpg

Everything installed! Thanks for the help boys!

Some photo's (made by Marcel) from a clubmeeting in the Netherlands. The VCT2-club organiseses clubdays in wintertime about technical subjects, this time the subject was elektra.
I took us a 2 hour drive to get there. But always nice to ride the early bay!
01.jpg

Me, getting cold. :?

02.jpg

A lott of fog. The returndrive was very sunny! 8)

03.jpg

Just a mildly tuned 1641 cc engine.
10.jpg

Talking to a late bay...

24.jpg

Checking the state of the battery.

gninnam said:
Some nice pics - how are you finding the new brakes now :)

Since the replacement i didn't had the time to drive a lot. I just drove from the workshop to my house and the next day to the place where the surfbus sleeps. While braking it felt oke.
I've got the idea to fit a remote servo... It will be worked out somewhere before august this year. (before i go on holiday to the southwest of France with the Mss, kids and my surfboards)

surfbus said:

I got the same kit from JK. Did you find the late new style calipers were different each side? I first noticed it where the brake-tube attaches to the caliper. On one it's in the middle (like the original '70/'71) and the other it's on the end (like in the photo above). I looked at the boxes they came out of (after I'd got them out and mixed them up!) and noticed they were 'handed' - one said left hand side, the other right hand side.

I'm thinking perhaps on later bays the brake tubes are routed differently to each caliper hence the different location. Just a guess though.

Yep, i have noticed the diference between the calipers. Somebody overhere got two the same and mounted one upside down.
The new calipers came in handy yesterday;
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
CircuitZandvoort12-04-0951.jpg

The surfbus almost in the turn.

CircuitZandvoort12-04-0981-1.jpg

Me taking the lead.... not! :mrgreen: Very good day it was!

Zandvoort12april09034.jpg

Airtime also drove along!

(photos by Tamara&HP)

Latest posts