My 69 Deluxe Microbus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAS-bus

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new here but been reading the forum for some time.
About half a year ago a bought a Deluxe Microbus.
Bus was imported from California by BBT where I bought it.
The bus is a typical California with some patina and didn't need a lot of welding. All the breaks are renewed, new balljoint where pressed in and the engine was given a big service.
Last week I lowered it a bit (18cm appr. 7inch) by welding in CSP adjusters in the frontbeam and a 2 spline drop at the rear.
The front tires are some crazy 135r14 on stock wheels while the rear is rolling on some fat 205/70 r14's. The tire combo gives the bus a rake. I'm thinking about another extra 1 spline drop at the rear but I then need the notch the rear spring plates.
Next on is building another engine but I'm nut shure what yet. I have most of the parts for a 1700 (85.5 x 74) with 36 IDF or 2054 (94 x 74) with 44 IDF's. All I'm after is some extra torque for a more modern traffic friendly ride...

Attachments

• DSC00388s.jpg
    DSC00388s.jpg
    133.5 KB
and after...
Small difference ;-).
Had to mount my licence plate on the bumper to avoid it hitting the ground...

Attachments

• DSC00371s.jpg
    DSC00371s.jpg
    182.7 KB
thats very nice, i really like it. 8)

135s are seriously skinny, i dont think id be brave enough to run them on the front of a loaded bus.

The 135 are fine alltough I'm going to try some 155's for daily use and keep the 135's for meeting use. This all because my girl doens't like the 'comfort' the 135's give ;-(, maybe it's just me but I don't mind the way the bus rolls on the skinny onces.
The advantage of the 135's is you don't need to narrow the beam the get enough tire to fender clearance.
And I haven't had any scarry moments in them yet... So me brave? I just like the looks and you all know the saying: sometimes you have to go thru some pain the be beautifull...

Last week, I've added some signwriting on my bus.
I also swapped the 135's for a set of 155's in front the get that little more comfort. belgium roads suck big time so you need a bit of comfort if you use your bus on a regular (read daily) basis.

Greetz

Attachments

• DSC00403.JPG
    DSC00403.JPG
    144.2 KB
wow thats now gone super cool! 8)

It looks like it was there 40 years, i like that alot!

whats the web address? i cant quite read it? http://www.gas-???.com

Do you mean http://www.gas-vw.com ?
That's the web adress from the VW-service company I run next to my regular job.

Greetz

Sign writing look 8) mate want some on my panel van what sort of paint is it ????

Cracking site Wim, i used to design/build sites still do on the side, i really like the feel and design of yours, the logo is super cool 8) . Some nice projects you've done as well like the 356 engine 8)

Thanks all for the nice words.
The signwriting is sprayed on with a spray can, but first some stickers were made (by a friend who designed the logo and the website) with the letters and the logo cut out so I had a negative of the signwriting. These were put on and then I painted it all with a spraycan (white wheelspray).
You all understand what I mean because I don't know the right words for all of this, it isn't my profession. But thanks to my m8 Turtle for doing all the designing.

The projects I did were all great but I urgently have to update the projects because a lot of work has been done lately...

Greetz

Wim
aka Guillermo

supersmart :mrgreen:

puts my fresh lowering job to shame... :D
van-web.jpg

I eventually decided to go for the 2054cc for the bus.
So the 36 IDF's are swapped in favor of some 44IDF's.
Here some pictures of the parts I allready have in stock.
The crank is also here together with some H-beams but these still needs some balancing for that long lasting engine.
Cam is a Engle FK 7.

Attachments

• DSC00142.JPG
    DSC00142.JPG
    75 KB
The good used case allready cut for the 94's.
I like to paint the cases in heat-resistance black, just prefer black over old faded magnesium.
Case is in very good condition, it doesn't even need lign-boring so original sized bearing will go in...

Attachments

• DSC08594.JPG
    DSC08594.JPG
    41.6 KB
Exhaust will be a merged unit with large bore heat-exchangers so I still have some heating in those cold wintermonths.
It will take some work to get it all to fit, but it will be defenitly be worth it...
Fuel-air ratio meter from CB-performance will be fitted as well, so I can keep on eye on the escaping gasses...

Attachments

• DSC00196.JPG
    DSC00196.JPG
    25.2 KB
  • DSC00198.JPG
    DSC00198.JPG
    41.3 KB

Latest posts