My 69 restoration, advice please.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My fuel tank has had petrol sat in it since 1992 as I found my van in a barn 4 years ago, as a result it's gone like gravy.

I thought that mate just didn't realy want to spend £20 on fuel if there was something cheaper but I suppose it's cheaper than buying a early tank tho, thanks mate.

Frosts sell a range of tank cleaners and liners. I used some marine cleaner, some gravel and a lot of shaking.

I'm not sure on lining the tank afterwards - seemed to be some uncertainty on its likely success

Mmmm I don't really no then, I might some marine cleaner and the petrol just to finish it off thanks alot for your help mate.

Yes you are wise to clean it out. If the old fuel has gone like gravy I would suspect there is something more than just old petrol in there.

Before using chemicals I would suggest putting in a pint or two of petrol and shaking vigorously. Empty it out and repeat a couple of times. Then see what it's like.

If you decide to use some sort of tank lining treatment later, I would recommend doing some research first, since I have heard stories of modern alcohol additives causing problems with some coatings.

Oh have u,I might just try petrol then mate and as you say just see what it's like then, i'm a long way off fitting the tank back in to be honest but it's been playing on my mind abit, i've been trying to put my resto on here but I'm making a hash of tryin to post photos in the same place.

Well I hope it will do the trick for you. Let us know how you get on.

As for photos, I find the easy way is to have them in photo bucket or similar and then use the image URL reference and copy paste it into your post where you want the image to appear.

Latest posts