My 70 Bus!! Wes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like the arm rest - very neatly done 8)
Agree with you - passenger side needs one to ;)

Shortly after switching the motor to DP, I started hearing a noise when the clutch was pushed in. Once released it seemed to go away. When I had hubby listen to it, he could have sworn he still heard the noise with it released so we kind of chalked it up to a noise in the motor and let it go for now. Well, this last Friday. When I was in the drive thru it started acting funny. I decided that I wanted to check the clutch cable because I just felt like it was more of a clutch issue then a motor one and this being the 3rd cable, I was thinking it may be fraying again. Once we had it up on a lift we noticed the shift cable shaft was coming out of the tranny.

Needless to say that night we pulled the motor. This is what it looked like inside the tranny.

After tapping the arm back to where it is supposed to be.

The cir clip came out of the grove and allowed the arm to move about. After fixing that, we put it back together and I finally got to put my new/used rear bumper on. :D

Here is a before of my old bumper,

After,

Now I have bumper guards and finally got rid of that ugly rust spot. :D

I had a store credit at Busdepot so after looking at several things I decided to buy the carpet kit. It arrived today.

The center section.

Front section.

With my rubber mats. :D

I am really pleased on how it fits. Makes the cab look nice an tight. Course it isn't as fun as my old ones. LOL

I finally have an update. :D

This last Christmas my hubby got me a new engine! It's a 1776 with a 110 cam and 044 heads ( i think that's what they were called lol).

So since Christmas I have been gathering parts and pieces to put my new engine together. Finally got started on the painting of the tins the last week and a half.

I ended up having an extra day off this week so I put the bus in the garage and began to do the swap. I had to take the old engine out to rob some parts from it. In the process of disconnecting everything, I broke a heater cable. :(

My hubby came up with an idea to fix that.

Since the engine was out I want to figure out a way to make the exhaust heater boxes work on an aftermarket exhaust. When I had my original engine last year, I had great heat. I switched to a dual port engine over the summer with an aftermarket exhaust, so I had to bypass those boxes and run the fresh air tubes directly to the heat exchangers. I didn't have the same amount of heat as last year so I figured I needed those boxes to get the extra heat from the top exhaust pipe. Here is a mock up of what I was going to try to do.

They were actually pretty darn close. We were messing around with them but we had a friend coming over to help me reinstall the engine and tune it up for me, so we stopped and went on to getting the engine ready to go in. Figured we could mess with the boxes after the fact. I then remembered what the sambanites told me about the heat exchangers and the differences in the stock german ones and the aftermarket ones. I had a look at the old ones and the ones from my old engine (the ones I put on my new engine). Wow, what a difference. With that I decided to forgo trying to ad the boxes and just hooked the fresh air tubes up the the heat exchangers.

So here is the engine all installed.

I know, what colors. LOL That's me though, got to be different. :D Hey, it matches my glasses. :D

LOL

I also came up with an idea to hopefully prevent a pesky leak I still have around the windshield area. I tried using that new stuff called NeverWet. I didn't do a very good job at masking it off, but if it works and I need to do it again I will do a better job.

It hasn't rained since, so I guess it works pretty good. Although we are in a drought now. Maybe I should take it back off? LOL

Oh, back to the heater. Although it was a bit warmer then normal outside when I took the test drive, I tried turning on the heater in the spot I used to be able to do it with the original engine, and it was kicking out heat like before. So looks like I can't doubt the sambanites. :D Although I still need to test it on the way to work with much colder temps. :D

Wow, it's been a while since I updated this thread. Just a note, that stuff didn't work on the windshield. We ended up putting a little silicone between the glass and the rubber. No more leaks. :D

Here is the latest and greatest. :D

I have an aftermarket exhaust on it and the way we set it up when I first got it, proved to be a bad thing. I am getting slight exhaust fumes in the cabin while I'm at stop lights. The exhaust tip was way to short and not coming out far enough from under the bus.

My hubby had found some pipe at his work and we began the process of adding pipe to the exhaust.

This should get it out far enough. LOL

I went and got a chrome tippy today and hubby still needs to weld it on, but this should help with the fumes. :D

If it doesn't we will have to investigate further for possible culprits. :D

Well, I finally did something to the bus again. LOL Since adding the roo bar, I couldn't use the bike rack anymore. Now I can. I made the old rack work with the roo bar. :D

The way I made it work did limit it down to just one bike, but that is pretty much all I will haul anyway.

With the bike.

I won't be using it to often, but it will make it easier to haul if I just want to do a short run to the bike shop or something. I also have my single wheel trailer set up for longer hauls.

Latest posts