My 70 Bus!! Wes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I've been following you thread for a while ....good work !!! he's a useful link for sliding doors hope it helps and keep up the good work ;)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=446358&highlight=sliding" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/SlidingDoor.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris

Thanks for the links on the sliding door. I will be working on that soon, so those links will help.

Well, I lowered my bus today. LOL, Well kind of. I finally got down to the yard to change my tires. The tires I put on are a tad smaller then the ones that were on it.

Here is one of the old ones. It is kind of hard to tell in the pic, but it has a huge flat spot. All 4 tires were that way.

IMG_2191.jpg

I did gain some white walls. I just need to find my white wall cleaner now. :D

IMG_2195.jpg

IMG_2193.jpg

We also put it on the lift at the yard and I was able to grease the front end and hubby tightened the steering a bit. I am happy to report that I no longer have a shimmy and my steering is a bit tight but there is no more side to side play. I can now drive the bus with no problems.

On a bad note, I do have to pull the motor again. I found a single port intake so Monday I will go pick that up and then figure out what day I want to pull the motor to replace the intake. Once that is done, it should run pretty good for me. Right now it wants to die when it is trying to warm up. Once it is hot, it is fine though. Just takes a long time to get there with the clogged intake heat riser things.

At least for now, I can drive it!! :D

Today I was planning on cleaning my white walls, and also doing some panel work. Never got to the tires, but I did do some of the panels!

After reading the thread on cup holders, I decided to make wood panels for the sides of the seat stands. Then I could attach my cup holder to the side of the passenger seat area. I was going to go with an ashtray version, but was afraid that my shifter would it it. I didn't want to have one that sat in the walk through area, so this was my best bet. Here are some pics.

Side panels cut.

f037ada7.jpg

Stained and installed,

dcea22c2.jpg

It's not the prettiest, but I'm not going for a show bus, just a functional one!

Cup holder installed.

b8fcd838.jpg

A view from the back to the front. Still plenty of room to walk through. I do need to do some cosmetic work on the side of the cup holder.

c6add700.jpg

I also got to the sliding door.

From this,
f80b9f40.jpg

to this,
b0b394f0.jpg

ceab3710.jpg

863f5a85.jpg

I am thinking about trying to find a different inside door handle. Mine is starting to crack and I don't want it to break. I hear they are hard to come by, so I would rather use a plain jane handle, then to take a chance at breaking this one eventually.

a9d030bd.jpg

Tomorrow I plan on getting to my white walls. If the weather holds out that is. LOL I also get to go pick up my new to me intake. That will be next weekends project. :D

OH, and I did see the adjustments on the sliding door when I had the panel off. I decided to wait on adjusting them. I figured out that I forgot to lube some of the latches so I don't want to go messing with adjustments before I try lubing first. My luck I would get it all out of wack! LOL

Today I actually took the bus for it's 'real' maiden voyage. By 'real' I mean more then just around the neighborhood. LOL I went to Starbucks so I could test my cupholder! It works great. :D Only thing is, when I went to roll my window back up, the handle broke. :(

4ed35c6d.jpg

Made it really fun to roll back up. Of course I don't have that style of handle at home. I have quite a few of the spilt bus and early bug style ones, but they wont work. To think we used to have a ton of these things about 15 to 20 years ago. Gave them or threw them all away. Live and learn. LOL So needless to say, I need to make a run to PnP and see if I can find a new handle.

I went out looking for the straps that hold the top down. I went to a 4 wheel drive place, but they only have new style one's. So I ended up at Bugformance. I bought the Empi aftermarket ones.

Made it back home with no problems. Well, other then the fact that it doesn't want to stay running sometimes when you are going up to a stop. Have to do the heal toe dance! LOL I will look into that after I change the intake next weekend.

I then installed the straps. They work ok, but I need to find an original hook ( not sure what it is called exactly but it is the piece that the rubber strap hooks into). I tried to use the aftermarket hook but I had to install it upside down and it doesn't want to stay latched that way. I will have to bend the hook piece down so it will actually stay latched.

5e4a70c6.jpg

The other side has the original hook. Works fine.

187878ac.jpg

Now I need to figure out how to find the one in the back. I was taking pics to ask about it on The Samba, and ended up having to ask where to get a new one, or if I could use an aftermarket one and just drill a hole to put the metal piece on. Things are a big brittle. LOL

Here is the latch in one piece. LOL

e417d61f.jpg

32edb593.jpg

I'm not sure how that latches to the bus. Maybe I am missing something? There are scuff marks on the metal where the latch looks like it has latched before, but I just don't get it?

My window winder snapped last week :-( I've gone through 3 sets in 2 years. I bought some heavy duty puppies from http://www.fiftysixdelux.com/restocal.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4th down on the list. Gotta say these are wicked, no way they're gonna break :)

Thanks for the link. I may look into those later down the road. Right now I'm trying to cut back on my spending. LOL Went kind of crazy buying stuff for the bus. I get get a few of the original style, or at least something that will work, for just a couple bucks at our local Pick N Pull. :D

justcruzin said:
Now I need to figure out how to find the one in the back. I was taking pics to ask about it on The Samba, and ended up having to ask where to get a new one, or if I could use an aftermarket one and just drill a hole to put the metal piece on. Things are a big brittle. LOL

e417d61f.jpg

32edb593.jpg

I'm not sure how that latches to the bus. Maybe I am missing something? There are scuff marks on the metal where the latch looks like it has latched before, but I just don't get it?

That one just latches to the metal lip of the roof where your scuff marks are , originally the latch had rubber insert but must have worn or fallen out.
Those are really hard to find in one piece , yours actually looks to be in good shape.
Here is one I have been saving for a future project.

belts038-1.jpg

belts036-2.jpg

belts037-1.jpg

Well, not much of an update, but today I finally finished my registration. I now have plates and will have a pink slip in about 2 weeks.!! The bus is officially in my name now. :D I still have to go back to DMV once my personalized plates come in, but the lady at DMV said it will probably be another 4 weeks before they show up. So I went ahead and got plates and current reg. so I could at least get rid of the temporary permit.

IMG_2230.jpg

What's really funny is I registered my new to me Pinto about 2 weeks ago. Here is the plate on it. LOL

IMG_2231.jpg

I got plates for the bus that were made before the plates for the Pinto. LOL I guess that shows how much a particular window is open at DMV. They must not use the window I went to today very often. :?:

This weekend I get to pull the motor for the third time. Going to change the clogged intake. Then I am hoping that will be the last time I need to pull it. I also hope that will make it run like my 64 bus. :D It runs really nice!! :D

It exploded! LOL

8974ab94.jpg

I ended up pulling my motor today instead of Sat. I got it out, changed the intake and have it half way back in. Had to stop because somehow I broke the mount on the mustache bar. So tomorrow I have to go buy one of those and hope I can get it back in place with the motor bolted in. I have everything on the bottom of the motor all hooked up and the top two bolts are in and tight. Think I can get the mustache mount in?

The sad part is, I put air to the supposedly clogged intake and it went through just as good as it does in the replacement intake. So I guess it wasn't clogged after all. :( All this for nothing. Oh well, least I have a spare intake now. LOL Question is, if the old one wasn't clogged, what is causing the intake to ice up? That is if it is actually icing up. I know for a fact the part right below the carb had condensation on it. I never saw it ice up personally. My friend that fine tuned the carb said it was icing up. So if it is not clogged, what causes the condensation, or is it normal to have that?

Another thing I noticed it was doing before I changed the intake, was it had a bit of a hesitation when I first try to take off, I have to give it more gas to get it to go. It also seems like it has a hesitation as I shift gears. Once I get the rpms back up after shifting it goes fine. I was chalking it up to the clogged intake, but maybe there is another cause? Guess I will find out when I get my motor back in and test drive it! :D

Now I just have to hope that I can get the mount tomorrow and not have to wait for them to order it! LOL

Well, I got the motor all back in and running again. At first it didn't want to stay idling. Hubby messed with it a bit and it idles fine now. He also did the carb spray test and I didn't get the intake on tight enough so he took care of that. I had him make it idle a little higher then it did before and now it doesn't die when I go up to a stop.

Sad thing is. I didn't accomplish anything by doing this. I found out that the original intake was not clogged. I blew compressed air through it and the new intake (before I installed it). The same amount of air blew through both of them. I still have a hesitation when I first step on the gas. So I still have to get the rpm's up a bit more then normal to get it to move out ok. I can also tell it is hesitating when I first switch gears. I also still see condensation on the tube right below the carb. It doesn't ice up, but it is definitely cold. I also can touch the left side preheat a lot longer then the right side. So the right heats up a lot faster.

So, the big question now is. Why is it still hesitating? Hubby is suspecting that may still be in the carb. Even though we soaked it in Chem Dip overnight and put all new gaskets and rubber parts on it. He did a test on the vacuum advance and it is working fine. You guy's have any other ideas?

I did get one thing fixed! :D I went to PnP today and picked up some window crank handles. Got as many as I could find. LOL I have plenty of spares now. I put the one's from the 84 Golf on the bus! They fit great.

IMG_2259.jpg

Hesitation is normally caused by one of two things. Mixture and ignition timing.

Things to check are :-

Ignition timing set correctly. Looking at your dissy this should be 7.5 degrees advance static. Check the timing mark on the bottom pulley. They vary for different engines and replacement ones had no mark - so a mark could be filed into the rim that was correct for whatever engine it was being fitted to. Hence you need to check what your pully marks are before you can use them to set the timing. If your not sure then post up a clear pic of what marks you have.

Ignition advancing correctly. Check the vac advance works too since its this that gives the small boost to overcome a flat spot. With a strong suck on the pipe :shock: :lol: you should be able to see the base plate in the dissy move and spring back when you release the suction. The vac pipe to the carb should be leak free. If your carb has two vac ports the vac advance should be connected to the left one and not the rear one.

Mixture screw for idle set too lean and or carb not set up right. Theres some guides how to set the different carbs on the web. This site is a mine of info http://www.ratwell.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Accelerator pump in carb not working or incorrectly set.

Faulty or wrong carb.

Air leaks.

Let me know how you get on :)

ps. re your query on heat risers :- one side will always be hotter because the exhaust gases flow in one side and out the other. As you now know, they can be checked for blockage by removing the exhaust rather than the engine :lol: If blocked they can be cleared by using a piece of cable (clutch or speedo) frayed at the end, fitted in a drill and slowly fed into the tube. If both sides get hot then its working.

Condensation on the inlet as the engine warms up is normal in cool damp weather.

The reason weak mixture is such an issue for hesitation is because the inlet manifold is so long which means that if the mix is weak the engine has to gulp a whole manifold full of weak mixt before it gets the mix generated by opening the throttle. twin carbs are therefor better - but more expensive. ;)

My mate had hesitation on acceleration for ages and I think he stripped the carbs (twin) at least 5 times But still the same :| , I kept saying it was electrical .. Eventually after an age I persuaded him to try another coil ! ..... Ran like a dream ! ( the coil was a 3 month old flame thrower :shock: )

You've ruled out air leaks and carb So worth a shot if you have a coil kicking about but do get the mixture checked out this will help no end

Let us know how you get on

Chris

I went to Walmart today and was looking at seat covers. 17 bucks for the cheapest one's. I was debating back and forth on wether or not to get a pair. Only thing I don't like about seat covers, specially in a bus, is sliding in and out one tends to pull the bottom portion of the cover off all the time. I want to eventually buy the actual seat covers to redo the seats one day, so I couldn't really see paying 17 bucks for something I wasn't to thrilled with. Yet, it would be better then looking at the yucky torn seat. Then it dawned on me. I could do the old 80's seat covers. Put a T-Shirt over the backs! LOL I even had the perfect T's to go on them. They go with the theme of the bus! LOL

Here is what I was trying to cover up. This is a before I washed the seats pic, so actually the bottoms are a lot cleaner now.

90aba601.jpg

Here is a pic of my seat covers. LOL

IMG_2279.jpg

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the bottoms for now. The driver side is ok, but the passenger side has a rip in it and is getting worse. Not sure, I may try to take some tie dyed tea towels I have and see if I can sew them on to the bottoms for now.

ib-bus said:
justcruzin said:

e417d61f.jpg

32edb593.jpg

That one just latches to the metal lip of the roof where your scuff marks are , originally the latch had rubber insert but must have worn or fallen out.
Those are really hard to find in one piece , yours actually looks to be in good shape.
Here is one I have been saving for a future project.

belts038-1.jpg

belts036-2.jpg

belts037-1.jpg

never seen one of these before and always wondered why the rear of my pop top wobbles up and down, always thought it was an oversight by VW but no!.....now on my wish/find list...

Justcruzin - liking your coffee cup "solution" been wondering how to get round this myself :D

mister said:
ib-bus said:
justcruzin said:
never seen one of these before and always wondered why the rear of my pop top wobbles up and down, always thought it was an oversight by VW but no!.....now on my wish/find list...

Justcruzin - liking your coffee cup "solution" been wondering how to get round this myself :D

Thanks, I have to say it works pretty good. Well for an iced venti caramel machiato that is! :D

Justcruzin - liking your coffee cup "solution" been wondering how to get round this myself :D[/quote]

:lol:
I find a size 11 Airware boot does the trick nicely as a coffee cup holder! Got a pair in the front of my bus :lol:

Finally, my personalized plates came in! Well, they came in last week, just getting around to post about it. LOL :D

IMG_2290.jpg

Here is a pic of Wes with his older brother! The reason for the TYEDYE2 plate, older brother is TYDYED! :D

_MG_0648.jpg

I also finally got the hesitation problem on the carb taken care of. This I left up to a friend of mine. I'm no good with adjustments and doing this or that to carbs. He switched some parts off of the accelerator area with another carbs parts, and my hesitation is now gone. I only have one minor running problem now and that is still dealing with the carb, I think. I can take off with no problems, but when I switch into other gears, when I am still at low rpms, it wants to kind of chug a bit. Once I get the rpms up it is fine. If I shift and have no traffic and can get my rpms up fairly fast, it isn't as bad. Mainly in slower traffic. I guess my bus just likes to go fast! LOL I figure I will drive it for a bit and let things kind of get ran through, then I will deal with that if I still need too. Figure this is the first time in who knows how long, that the bus has ran. The important thing is, I can drive it! :D

I ordered my rubber for my back window with the vent. So when it comes, that will be the next project. Also go the windshield rubber, but that has to wait till I can afford the windshield and also have time to do any body work that may arise when we take the old one out!

Oh, and I almost forgot, well actually I did and now I'm editing my post. LOL I got my tie down for the rear of the pop top. It's not the prettiest thing and actually, I probably could have made one out of the old parts and a new aftermarket tie down ( the black ones), but it will work.

IMG_2285.jpg

I also did some interior decorating! LOL Bugformance had these poster type things on sale for a buck so I had to have the one with a Bus on it, even though it is a truck! LOL

IMG_2286.jpg

Not much going on with Wes. I did get a few things for him though. Yesterday I received my sign.

0a761a4b.jpg

Today I bought a missing piece! :D

28843762.jpg

Can't wait to go put the stool in the bus. It's dark right now so I will wait for daylight. :D

I also got my Bentley book today. Of course as soon as I opened it, hubby say's " I have one of those somewhere". Least I only paid about 20 bucks for this one. LOL

That's all for now. :D

Latest posts