My 71 Bay resto project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I am a new memeber and am very glad i have joined. I have just started a similar resto on a 1970 Dormobile, reading your thread has spurred me on and given me lots of inspiration to get out there and get on with it, I too will be doing all the work myself. keep up the good work, much respect.

Thanks again for the nice comments :D and good luck with your resto bushyboy.

Justin & Mutley I haven't decided what i'm going to do with the interior yet. I think I will probably have a 3/4 rock and roll bed and units and wardrobe along side.

I am still trying to get all the welding finished and have sort of been working clockwise from the bottom upwards.

The saving grace being that each time I have worked on it, I have been able to drive it back into the garage at night, thus not having an eyesore on the driveway while I do the work, and keeping the neighbours happy.

The last main bit however is the drivers offside chassis, wheel tub area. I have been really dreading this because once I cut the area out I wont be able to move it back into the garage until it gets sorted.

So it's about time I went head first and jumped into the fire, oh well here goes, hope the neighbours dont mind.

Having said that, my neighbours, bless em, have been fine about it, and are really into the project aswell. I think I will however get a cover to hide the camper while I do the work to save me getting any possible complaints or even an... ASBO. :lol:

As you can see from these previous pic's, the main chassis rail outer arm thingy is rotten as far back as the main beam. :shock:

frontchassis003.jpg

resto06014.jpg

The wheel tub is pretty rotten aswell and needs replacing.

sills015.jpg

And like the nearside, the floor needs replacing also.

sills016.jpg

Ok then, made a start today. Decided to just cut away the wheel arch at the moment so that I can repair the 'A' and 'B' pillars and still drive the camper into the garage at night. :D

frontwheelarch009.jpg

frontwheelarch015.jpg

frontwheelarch017.jpg

frontwheelarch007.jpg

Will update with some repair progress pic's soon. :D

If your thinking of what interior to have, just an idea but http://www.busfurniture.co.uk do some very nice furniture for your vw vans, i can highly recommend as bought a kit for my van it was very nice, unless your making your own furniture though are you?? keep up good work looking good now the work youve done is outstanding,,, show us more as soon as you can>>>>>> :D

keep going :)
hoop you can enjoy your ride soon :wink:
your doing a very good job :!:

Wow Ian. :shock: Just seen this pic of your interior. 8) Now that looks really nice M8. 8)
What a lovely job you've done there, well done. I Just hope mine will look half as good as that one day.

Will be paying a visit to http://www.busfurniture.co.uk me thinks?

vanpic5.jpg
[/quote]

And Sedan thanks for the nice comments, glad you like it, cant wait to get it on the road. :D

Quality resto dude. Keep up that hard work 8)

Thanks very much for the positive comments guys I am really looking forward to getting the bus back on the road again for this summer. Fingers crossed :D

Here is a bit of an update... 'B' post after a bit of work, now with a bit of primer on.

apost018.jpg

Next job was to repair the offside 'A' post which was rotten at the bottom and must admit a bit tricky for me. :shock:

frontwheelarch015.jpg

apost012.jpg

View from behind

apost014.jpg

A bit better now.

apost024.jpg

Next Job is to tackle the rotten front beam :eek: and the front wheel tub. Will update soon. :D

Blimey Alfie - just looked through the whole thread and you are doing a brilliant job on some quite tricky areas! I used a cheap welder from Halfords years ago, but it was gas-less and everything had to be spotless to weld properly. As with others, your work has inspired me to go and get a gas welder and get on with mine, though luckily I don't have quite as much to do. You'll be so proud using the van once it is done knowing all the work you did on it - top job! :)

Thanx Angus :D

Made a start by cutting away some of the floor panel to get to the rotten front chassis outer arm thingy.

chassisrail002.jpg

After cutting it off.

chassisrail003.jpg

I found more rot than I first expected :eek: As you can see from the pic below It had rusted out behind the first bolt of the main front beam. :shock:

chassisrail008.jpg

A view inside...

chassisrail009.jpg

This will mean that I have to now take off the front beam before I can do any repairs to the chassis. :( Not looking forward to that job I can tell you. :eek:

Will update soon. I hope :lol:

Blinking nice work there chap, shame so much work is needed, but you will be the proudest van owner in the land, when it finally cruises down the road. :D

Keep up that quality work. 8)

you got that front beam out yet? might me worth adding a nice focksy adjuster when you have the beam out unless you buy a new beam if that ones too far gone to repair, buy a lowered front beam ............ :D

easy said:
Blinking nice work there chap, shame so much work is needed, but you will be the proudest van owner in the land, when it finally cruises down the road. :D

Keep up that quality work. 8)

Dude, when it's done you'll have that warm glow inside whils't driving down the high street!

Keep up the good work 8)

Latest posts