My 71 Bay resto project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice work again chap :D nearly there son! 8)

Thanks everyone glad you like it. :D

Did a bit more today, filling, sanding down, filling, sanding, more sanding...... at last some primer on. :lol:

Photo-0001.jpg

Photo-0002.jpg

Thinking about white on top and lime green sort of colour for the bottom. :shock: What do you think?

But then i change my mind on a weekly basis :lol:

Its coming along nicely I see. Well done M8 - amazing job your doing.

Bravest bay resto I have ever seen.

Most (including me) would have run the other way and bought something else.

Somebody give him a medal :D

Trikky2 said:
Its coming along nicely I see. Well done M8 - amazing job your doing.

Bravest bay resto I have ever seen.

Most (including me) would have run the other way and bought something else.

Somebody give him a medal :D
I have to back you up on all the above Trikky2.
That is going to be one nice looking bay when he's done.

I just spent an hour engrossed in your project, very well done Alfie your van is gona be brilliant. Do you have bumpers? I have a spare rear bumper if you want it F.O.C let me know.

Jefo
:D 8)

please dont paint it lime green.

Did you spray your primer in the garage? It looks a tight squeeze!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks everyone :D

Jefo,thanks for the offer of the rear bumper mate but I've already got one thanks, even if it does need a bit of work. :lol:

Not quite ready for the paint just yet, still got to do a bit more welding and repairs to the drivers side wheel tub and rear floor area, gonna pick up the panels from Volkworld on Saturday.

Been thinking about the respray and decided to try and give it a go myself. :eek:

Rob-stone I know what you mean about lime green thing but I have decided on this colour for the bottom half. Got a rattle can made up at Halfords today. It's a VW colour called Lemon gel b which I found in their paint chart book.

Its a sort of really light green which seems to change colour depending on which way the light/shade hits it. I think it looks really cool :cool: and summery. Not sure which colour white to get for the top half yet.

Just tested it out, what do you think? :D

colour003.jpg

colour005.jpg

Well Alfie, its certainly an unusual colour, I dont think I have seen it before.
It looks like white with a hint of lime - a sort of pale pistachio ice-cream colour - (or is that just the photo / contrast against the grey primer?)

I can see that choosing a white to go with it will be quite a delicate choice.
I have seen campers with a lime green and white scheme but the lime was much darker.

By the way, I see the top of the dash is currentley pale - i would reccomend something dark and non relective. Because of the angle of the screen and dash top, anything pale will reflect annoyingly in the windscreen when you drive it, especially on a sunny day. I find even a map left on there distracting.

What kind of paint are you going to use? Do you have access to a suitable building - i would not reccommend doing it outside. If you do all the preparation, rubbing down and masking, then paying a professional to do the spraying for you really wont amount to much. The cost of the paint will be the larger part of the bill. :)

Thanks for the advice Trikky 8)

My mate has got a large garage and was going to try and do it in there. I will however look into the cost of a professional to do the final spray if you dont think it will cost too much. :D 8)

Been working on the inside first though trying to repair the cargo floor. Unable to buy a repair panel for this area so had to fabricate my own. It was quite tricky to get the curve but I have made a start. Here are some pics.

This part of the cargo floor was really rotten so I had to cut it all out. :shock:

colour017.jpg

Couldn't get a repair panel for this area so have made a start trying to fabricate some repairs myself. Started around the wheel arch as you can see.

colour018.jpg

Next bit was quite tricky trying to get the bend to meet the floor area.

colour019.jpg

I have still got to grind down the welds but not to worried about the overall appearance as it will be covered with the floor panel and bed unit eventually. :D

Did a bit more today :)
colour022.jpg

colour023.jpg

colour025.jpg

Still got to grind it all back and do a bit more welding but ran out of gas :( At least its all solid again and another job out of the way. :D

the colour looks nice. So does the welding!

Oh....you have the same welder as me :)
Keep it up...should be ready in no time

blinking eck its turbo restorer to the rescue! :wink: nice work there chap 8)

Latest posts