My 72 Danbury- Stock resto thread

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robb

Reaction score
Here is my 1972 one owner crossover Danbury.

I purchased it from the original owner who bought it new from the garage in my hometown, he used it extensively across Europe and even made it to Russia. I walked past this bus every day of my school and then work life. All the paperwork exists back to the original bill.

After carrying out the concours resto on my 67 bug, my plan with this is a sympathetic stock restoration, as there aren't many left. The starting point is the welding which my good friend Dean Bradley is currently doing on it.

ted.jpg

the work begins............

that's it so far. we have to work all the way round the bus, but for a british van its pretty good.

once the welding is complete I will finish stripping the wheelarches and start painting the underside/suspension/brake rebuild and then the whole outside will get a fresh coat of chianti red and white.

cheers, although not sure these crossover models are great to work on when the parts are all odd.

my bug is a one year only car, and getting parts for that was a nightmare!

Robb said:
cheers, although not sure these crossover models are great to work on when the parts are all odd.

my bug is a one year only car, and getting parts for that was a nightmare!

The one year only bits are part of the challenge :lol:

tell me about it! its a Danbury so makes it even harder. at least the interior is complete.

Very nice bus (but then I would say that :msn4: ;) ), one previous owner, one year only.......one lucky find!

Although sounds like you had your eye on this for a very long time..... so all good things really do come to those that wait :D

Would be great to see some more pictures, especially including the interior!

Will be watching this with much interest, good luck!

Nice job so far, nice story too!!
Sounds like it was meant to be!!!
Be nice to hear a bit more about & we all love pics!!! :lol:

Hi Robb.

Been a while since we last chatted.

Great to see the stock resto well underway!
I'm following with interest! 8)

Let me know if you need any more Danbury specific help at all. :D

Doug

thanks for the kind comments, sorry for the lack of updates, but work has been cracking on.

The original passenger side cill wasn't bad, but it had gone a little thin in places so on goes a top quality new one

then we found this under the sink.......

so more cutting......

so much better!

nasty bit on the lower front arch

donor section

just the retaining lip to go!

I cant thank my mate Dean enough, hes doing an amazing job 8)

more updates soon

more updates from Mr B soon- no love for a crossover on the early bay forum? or is it because its stock? :?

Only just seen this one, great progress so far! Love to see a bus being lowered etc but also going back to stock, something very cool about that, nice backstory too.

Latest posts