My august 1971 bay window

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin2410

Reaction score
:( I have recently purchased a 1971 bay window for full resto. It was registered in august 1971 and is a kombi.
There have been repairs (bad) by a previous owner. The front panel has high indicators and lip above the front bumper which also seems to be a late bumper and not the wrap around. Is this correct or should it have low indicators and wrap around bumper? I want it to look original but keep getting conflicting advice!

This should have an early style bumper (rounded) and low indicators, if indeed it is a '71.

There are other ways of telling such as, flat front arches, crescent shaped rear vents small rounded rear lights. pics may be useful just to clarify :D

Thanks, I'll try to put some pics on here. I have the V5 documents with the vehicle and the VIN plate on the bulk head corresponds. I am replacing the front panel so will go back to original look if that's the case.
As you can tell I am new to VW ownership so all the advice is greatly appreciated!!

If it was registered in Aug 71, it could well be a 70 model year? Are the wheels wide 5 or narrow 5?

Now I'm really confused!!! It hasn't got the crescent vents in it!! Do ya think the previous owner butchered it?

Post some pics up fella so we can have a nose and let you know what you have ;)

Trikky2 said:
Or post up the chassis number :)

Lets hope thats the right one. :? A lot of panels are changed on vans, but the rear vents are rarely swapped ... I hope it 'is' a 71 .....

What was the cut-off point for the new year as August 71 to August 72 would be crossover, so if it was made Aug 71 rather than registered, could be crossover year. Obviously should still have low lights etc, but would have flared front arches and squarer vents....

M plate or chassis number to be sure.........

What was the cut-off point for the new year as August 71 to August 72 would be crossover, so if it was made Aug 71 rather than registered, could be crossover year. Obviously should still have low lights etc, but would have flared front arches and squarer vents....

M plate or chassis number to be sure.........

Dave is right, basically a model year officially runs from beginning August to the end of July of the following year, however we have seen buses that have been built in the July and are the following year model so its possible that a bus registering in August 1971 could be a crossover and a 72MY bus, as other have said the m code plate should resolve this as it will give you a build date and a model year on the chassis number so easy to work out from that.

There should also be a silver sticker usually on the LHS drivers door post showing the build date, if its after August 1971 then it will be a crossover :roll:

I'm really struggling to put photos on at the moment!! :(
The chassis number is 2312217667.

The M plate displays this:
32 097 956

959251 A41 191

52 4 7361 EN 2340 11

Any ideas?

He's right you know....

Model Type 2 (T2) mod. 234(0) :
- Kombi
- Sliding door left
- RHD
Chassis number 2332097956
Serial number 097 956
Modelyear 1973
Planned production date - Thursday, 21 December 1972
Type of engine Type 1 (AD) - 1584cc, 37 kW (50 bhp DIN)
Type of transmission Manual 4-speed gearbox
Paint color
Color upper part : L53H - Orient Blue
Color lower part : L90D - Pastel White
Interior color (door panels and seats) 51 - Dark Beige Leatherette
Destination England, Ramsgate

Theres something not right here that requires further investigation.

As posted above - Your M codes plate shows the following information :-

Model Type 2 (T2) mod. 234(0) :
- Kombi
- Sliding door left
- RHD
Chassis number 2332097956
Serial number 097 956
Model year 1973
Planned production date Thursday, 21 December 1972
Number for production planning (temporary serial number) 7361
Type of engine Type 1 (AD) - 1584cc, 37 kW (50 bhp DIN)
Type of transmission Manual 4-speed gearbox
Paint color *** Unknown ***

Interior color (door panels and seats) II - *** Unknown ***
Destination England, Ramsgate

Note.. this chassis number would tally with the body features you described since it would be a 73 model year.

The chassis number you have quoted "2312217667" is a chassis number for a 1971 model year vehicle and does not tally with the M plate of your vehicle.

Where did you get the chassis number from - was it from paperwork or log book or physically from the vehicle itself?

If your vehicle is a 1971 then the rear valence (the bit between the engine and the rear bumper) will be bolted in place, not welded. To the right of this panel, inside the engine compartment, you will find the chassis number stamped into the chassis member.

If your valence is welded in then the chassis number is on the left side close to where the foam seal meets the engine compartment - see here for pictures http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3699084" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let me know what you find please :)

Now that has got me really stumped!!! If I have the log book dating the van as 1971 yet the M plate dates it as 1973, and the look of the van is 1973, what do I do?

Will DVLA be able to sort it out and give me the correct paperwork?

Sorry to say, but I think this vans been re-dated for tax exemption. If you've 'just' bought it, Id take it back ....

What someone has done is essentailly 'rung' a van. Taken a tax exempt vans identity and falsified a later vans identity to save the money. Going straight to the DVLA/Police 'could' see the van impounded? Id contact the seller in the first instance..

Hope Im wrong. Please use this place to find out what you need to know. :)

Hi, I've spoken to the seller tonight about the vans history. He told me he bought it as a 1971 van and sold it as such. Then told me to go through DVLA. Kind of fobbed me off really. I've not really got anywhere else to turn but DVLA I think!! What's your advice? :(

Latest posts