My first Bay - 1968 pop up camper, soon to be Cal Look!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Watts

Reaction score
Well I have had just about every Aircooled vehicle made by VW over the past 30 years I have owned them and gone to events. But a Baywindow was never on my list to buy.

But I found my way to your website and forum here and have to say that following all the threads on your buses and how they started and then how awesome they looked when done convinced me to sell my bug and get a bus.

Well today I made my down payment on a nice 1968 popup camper bus owned by a 85 yr old woman that has sat since she lost her license 10 years ago.

I don't have it yet as it is being shipped to me from about 3 hours away so I am like a kid before xmas planning the project and shopping for parts!

Then in the next winter I want to add the disc brakes and a whole lot of other updates.

I can't wait to add to my thread here and show you all the progress.

As soon as it arrives I will take more detailed photos and post them.

Please feel free to message me and visit my website also. Good people there and no drama!

Brian

Score !
Very nice bus you got there, it looks to be in very good shape , where abouts are you in Northern California ? I'm in San Diego but just got my latest bus from the San Jose area.
Good luck with the project , and do show some more pictures of the interior when you get it.

Nice bus dood 8) loving the interior :mrgreen:

Is this my M-Plate or just an ID plate?

01968M-Plate.jpg

I am trying to ID what my bus came with but it looks different than on the website decoder?
http://www.alltheprettybuses.com/_d_decoder.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Help the new guy please?

Thanks Brian

thats the id...

looks like the m plates been removed....

VWoA should be able to provide you with a birth certificate, giving all the details

The only US company that had the pull to order regular window buses with the second digit as a 3 was Riviera, I'm pretty sure that is what your bus is. The top looks like a Westy top, I'll tell you any other info I have when I see the bus in person, hopefully going to a NAG meet soon. Great bus!!

Well 2:30am in the morning and just got my bus off the trailer and in the driveway.

Brakes drag bad!! Couldn't hardly get it down the ramps and onto the street. Or off the street and into the driveway. Damn!

So on the ground get my first look at it in person

The good:
Has aftermarket muffles in good shape - good!
Has rear window defroster - good!
no rot down low - good!

The bad:
While on the trailer looking up underneath it notice trans has lots of dried oil on outside of trans case mmm?
Dent in roof at corner of pop-up - that's a surprise sh*t!
Drivers wing lock broke
divider wall behind drivers seat is all bent up damn!

Seller forgot to send paperwork with driver

I found the M-Plate and run in to house to check it and find confusing ?
http://www.alltheprettybuses.com/_d_decoder.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Decode Results:
Production Date: April 2, 1967
Exported To: PforzheimEngland, Ramsgate
Designation: Kombi
Engine KW (BHP): 35 (47)
Transmission Type: manual
Engine: 157
Transmission Code: -
Extras Code: -
Paint / Interior
Paint Scheme: Lotus White
Paint Codes: L282
Paint Notes:
Interior Scheme: beige
Interior Material: leatherette
Interior Notes:
Options
507: Vent wings in cab doors
508: With vent wings in passenger compart. opposite sliding door [F -- 211 2300 000] / With vent wing in sliding door and in all windows in the opposite side of panel [F 212 2000 001 -- 217 2300 000] / Sliding window in the sliding doorand in opposite side panel [F 218 2000 001 --] / Sliding window in the side panel opposite the sliding door [F 218 2000 001 --] / With vent wing in the double cab door and in the opposite side panel [F 212 2000 001 --]
525: Three-point safety belts front, left and right and lap belts in passenger compartment
428:
015: Front bench seat three pers. pass. compart.
061: Type labeling of seat mounting and ID plate for England and Ireland
102: Rear window heater

And so checked it at http://www.vw-mplate.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Model Type 2 (T2) mod. 231(0) - Kombi, cargo door right, LHD
Chassis number 238132730
Serial number 132 730
Modelyear 1968
Production date April 02 ,1968
Type of engine Type 1 (B5) - 1584cc, 35 kW (47 bhp DIN)
Type of transmission Manual 4-speed gearbox
Paint color Color upper part : L282 - Lotus White
Color lower part : L282 - Lotus White
Interior color (doorpanels and seats) 36 - Beige Leatherette
Destination England, Ramsgate

M-CODES
M-CODE Description Concerned models From chassis number To chassis number
015 Front bench seat three personnes passenger compartment 231,234
061 Type labelling of seat mounting and identification plate for England and Ireland
102 Rear window glass, heatable 211-268
507 Vent wings in cab doors 211-235,261-274
508 With vent wing in passenger compartment opposite sliding door 221-244 211 2 300 000
508 With vent wing in sliding door and in all windows in the opposite side panel 221-244 212 2 000 001 217 2 300 000
508 Sliding window in the side panel opposite the sliding door 271,274 212 2 000 001
508 With vent wing in the Double Cab door and in the opposite side panel 265-268 212 2 000 001
525 Three-point safety belts front, left and right and lap belts in passenger compartment 211-265, USA, Canada

hello Brian

Regards from Chris (FRANCE) http://www.vintageautohaus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vintage-autohaus said:
hello Brian

Regards from Chris (FRANCE) http://www.vintageautohaus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Chris

In my searching for Baywindows to copy you build some of the best I have seen!

Hope to meet you someday

Brian

Is it possible my bus is a sunroof model and the poptop is mounted in the sunroof hole?

Did they do that?

Just wondering if a sunroof door could be put back in it?

Well just got home from the BUS FEST in Vallejo California and it rained most the day so it was a small turnout but some high quality buses for sure.

Ok to my bus:
I got my key cut for my bus that the old woman had lost prior to my buying the bus.

After sitting 10 years!! whoo hoo!!.

Now I need to try the trans,yes reverse works and yes 1st works, and brakes stop!!

I'm assuming your Destination code is EP?
If so then its a tourist programme bus delivered to Ramsgate England & would have been LHD - so I would guess an American Serviceman has bought it when stationed in the UK.

428 is a 68/69 model year only group code for M-Codes 106 (Upholstery material special version German Mail & Police?), 156(Oil bath filter with larger capacity for dusty areas) , 507 (Ventilation windows in cabin doors)

015 is for a 3 seat middle seat & trim in the rear not the front seat.

If you have any more Qs then fire away ;)

Missed a question :lol:
Where is the paint peeling?
Mine is also "peeling" (with the aid of paint stripper) & I have what appears to be a blue primer/undercoat under my original paint ??

Loxy said:
I'm assuming your Destination code is EP?
If so then its a tourist programme bus delivered to Ramsgate England & would have been LHD nowledge of them with me.

The LHD serviceman purchase makes complete sense now thanks.

Araon said:
Oil filter yeah thats a huge beast very obvious

vent wings are the opening quarters in the doors

Oil filter - KOOL!!

Vents gotcha!

How about the sunroof/pop up camper question, is that likely or possible?

Looking at your front seats I'm wondering if the faces have some sort of heavy duty material on them - the pattern in the pic doesnt look quite the same as normal?
May just be the pic though?

The air-filter does I think look bigger than stock - but I dont run one as I have twin carbs so may have forgotten the size :lol:

507 is the opening 1/4 light windows in the cab doors.

The roof hole I would guess was not originally there from the factory - as there doesnt appear to be any indication in the codes that it was there - it also looks a little small.
Have a look rounf the edge as there should be some guttering/edging if its a factory install.

Oh and my expert knowledge only extends to being able to read my book ;) :lol:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transporter-Microbus-Specification-Guide-1967-1979/dp/1861267657/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241424835&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Loxy said:
Oh and my expert knowledge only extends to being able to read my book ;) :lol:

LOL Thats alright I don't have the book so it's very appreciated!

I will take clearer photos tomorrow of the seats and air cleaner to help figure it out for sure.

Had hoped it was a sunroof as I would prefer to put eh bus back to that rather than the popup

Seriously I do appreciate you trying to help me out till I learn more about these Bay buses.

You didn't have to help but you did!

Appreciate it.

BTW are you close to the WW2 airbase called Alconbury?

Brian Watts said:
You didn't have to help but you did!

Appreciate it.

BTW are you close to the WW2 airbase called Alconbury?

No problem - for me thats what Earlybay is all about 8)

I'm not but I guess Araon is somewhere near it ;)

Latest posts