My first Bay - 1968 pop up camper, soon to be Cal Look!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the dusty climate cleaner is a lot taller than the one in the pic fella

and yeah I live about 15miles from RAF Alconbury....

have to agree I dont think thats a sunroof model, that said the M-plate doesnt always show everything, quite often a birth certificate will give you more information....

Araon said:
the dusty climate cleaner is a lot taller than the one in the pic fella

and yeah I live about 15miles from RAF Alconbury....

I will need to get the birth certificate to be 100% sure then? Ok I will order one.

Thanks to you all for your help

Brian Watts

Its a very distinctive filter saw one for sale at Big Bang the other week funnily enough, I've been hunting through my books for a pic but cant find it I know its there somewhere :x

If I remember I'll take a few pics tomorrow on the way back from work.... a lot of the site has been handed back and is used for storage now by one of the big supermarkets and other industrial units....

but I'll get a shot of the entrance with its gate gaurds for you, hopefully without being carted away...

Think this is a large capacity air filter:

DSCF0167.jpg

Though you appear to have an air filter stand in your engine bay so this wouldnt fit??

Thats the fella, nice one the only pics I've seen dont show how its fitted to the bus.... wondered how they were secured...

Whats that extra pipe doing attached to the RHS manifold pre-heat pipe?

Seat cover material looks pretty standard in that pic - maybe they are replacement covers?

Hi Brian.

Regarding your sunroof question, if it was an original sunroof model it should have 6 drain tubes. 4 go down the pillars and exit just behind the front wheel arches and ahead of the rear wheel arches either side of your sill ( rocker) look for these holes.
The rear ones exit just inside the intake vents and should be just visible.
The opening should have a curved cut out on th leading edge to allow for a handle and the back part of your bus (inside) should be lower than the front to accomodate the slid back roof, check if your headlining at the back sits lower than the front.
I know westys used sunroof busses as a base, these didnt have drain tubes or the exit holes but still had the cut out in the opening and the lower roof lining to allow for the slider housing.

If you can post some pictures of the inside opening that might be good, hope this helps you a little. ;)

wibbler said:
Hi Brian.

Regarding your sunroof question, if it was an original sunroof model it should have 6 drain tubes. 4 go down the pillars and exit just behind the front wheel arches and ahead of the rear wheel arches either side of your sill ( rocker) look for these holes.
The rear ones exit just inside the intake vents and should be just visible.
=
Here is a photo of what I think is the drain your talking about behind the drivers side front wheel well. Is this in fact the drain hole for a sunroof?

Yea coming around, soon as I get the BRM bus size bolts and add the wheels it will really start to look like something.

Then the narrowed beam will add to it and I will be able to live with it

You got a thread on your bus Cody?

I posted pics in the newb thread.
I will start a thread when I start working on it.
I am collecting parts now. 15' Jge Raders are coming and I will be making spindles and a beam real soon.

TheBusDriver said:
I posted pics in the newb thread.
I will be making spindles and a beam real soon.

Doug doing those or you?

Maybe I will hit him instead of paying someone else to make mine?

How much for spindles

How much for narrowed adjustable beam?

How much for single kadron manifolds?

Well the kadron manifolds I will let go cheap $50. The next cheapest pair I can find are $70

I Have talked to doug about making them for sale and he does not want to. He is worried they might fail he will be liable.
Especially the spindles. A beam might be doable
But I will mention it to him.
I Will be doing my beam.
The spindles Take 2 sets to make and have to be turned on a lathe .
I will probably get Doug to weld them up to be on the safe side. Its kind of a risky thing to do anyway.
He did his and they haul Literally a Ton of steel on a regular basis.

Hi Brian, what you have circled is not the drain tube. If you follow the line toward the front wheel you will see a small drain hole, a sunroof drain hole would be just above this and about an inch in diameter.

Here is a picture of an exit hole just above the rear jacking point.
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/233301.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well I dont have those holes, DAMN! LOL

I have a line on a good used sunroof roof. So might just graft one into mine!

Sold the cabinets tonight so inside cleaned out and ready to clean up!!

Latest posts