My first bay. My biggest project yet.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USwesty

Reaction score
Hi, Im new to bays, I have always been in to vws but more of the watercooled side, after having a beetle earlier in the year and getting in to the aircooled side of things I had to have a bay. I sold my beetle and bought this december 1971 westfalia crossover bay US import. Im made up with the van which I think was a bit of bargin although its the rustiest US bay I have ever seen lol I have had my bay for around 4 weeks now and set replacing all the rotten metal. It has been stood for around 15 years due to the owner in the states dieing and I have history proving the 50k on the clock. I had it running for the first time on my birthday (Best birthday present!) After stripping the carb to remove all the termite nests and it ran realy well. My plan is to get most of the work and useable before the realy bad weather comes. Heres a few pics. Im from stafford so if any local early bayers are in the sandon rd side of town and Im outside pop in for a brew the kettle is always on and any pointers are greatly appreciated too.

KGrHqQOKj4E37cKKMWHBOLJuLv1_12.jpg

KGrHqUOKnE4Qt5SKMMBOLJBgoS_12.jpg

KGrHqVk8E4ltnOygBOLJDVSPk_12.jpg

KGrHqYOKjYE4DgkS2qeBOLJCnwIKQ_12.jpg

camperpics042.jpg

camperpics043.jpg

camperpics065.jpg

camperpics076.jpg

camperpics117.jpg

camperpics119.jpg

camperpics140.jpg

lard said:
Looks like you are making great progress! what other plans do you have for it?

Thanks dude its going to be a budget bus realy. Just planning a big drop and some trick wheels maybe mercedes wheels.
Just busy filling in where the tin worm has been. Doing about 2-4 hours a night so its coming along nicely.

Looks like it is coming along nicely!! I too like the colors scheme. My late grandmas late boyfriend, had one in that color scheme. It was a really nice one, but sadly I wasn't into bus's when he passed. My Mom ended up with the bus but sold it.

Love your progress. :D

Thanks lads I tought myself to weld atleast I have got plenty of practice on my bay lol I have thought of redoing the colours or the orange with a white roof may put it to the vote. Its currently on hold as a neighbour has reported me for being noisy and my camper looking like ''A scrapyard'' so got to find sumwhere I can finsh off the metal work witch Im gutted about and to top it off today went to my bank and it was empty, Iv been scammed by a virus on internet banking. Just currently collecting all the metal I am going to need to finsh.

BoL with the resto fella.

a neighbour has reported me for being noisy - they must be nice to live next door to. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Had a neighbour tell me today my drive looks like a scrap yard again today, dont know who they think there are i dont like there cars but I dont go and tell them.

Staffords not to far from Sunny Brereton nr Rugeley ;) , But get yourself to the diner on the 4th at Burton 8) . As for the neighbour , If you own the house tell them to F off :evil:

Get some more pics up though

Gadget :mrgreen:

What meet is that gadget boy? Is that a monthly thing? Going to a stafford meet down the road 2nite see what thats about. Just recived a big box of bits of metal 2day. Every time I look at my camper I find another hole :( poked a lump in my rear arch and a skim of filler broke and now there is a hole.

I know you all like pics and its the only thing I can do as everything else seams to annoy my neighbour down the road. He evan mumbled something when I was doing a compression test.

camperpics049.jpg

Old tatty metal has rusted inside out due to no window.

camperpics040.jpg

A few pics of the areas next to do not realy mot but while im welding may aswell do the lot.

camperproject013.jpg

camperproject012.jpg

camperproject011.jpg

camperproject010.jpg

camperproject009.jpg

My new wheel arch tub in need of some attension before fitting but cant beat it for a fiver.
camperproject008.jpg

camperproject007.jpg

The area of floor that I replaced was a right pain as I had to cut up 6 sections of floor to get the spacing of the corrigating looking right and put a longer corrigation in the centre.
camperproject006.jpg

My spare room now parts room (Mrs hasnt said much yet)
camperproject005.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i212/Jetta_gx/camperproject004.jpg[/IMG

klogencrap is only going to be used in very small peices where I would struggle to get the shape right
[img]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i212/Jetta_gx/camperproject003.jpg

front panel I bought good quality and nice and heavy shame I am only cutting the buldge off ( If anyone wants and other bits I will do some cut off it)
camperproject001.jpg

camperpics041.jpg

Is that the moaning neighbours porsche????? make sure you aim the angle grinder at it fella :lol: :lol:

No he's sound! I always work on the other side and normally put up a screen. Its a guy 4 doors down, Il get my own back Il wait till he's on nights and decide to give it a run with my custom sideways stinger :p. Find out tomorrow if i am able to use an only barge workshop fingers crossed and il be putting in some big hours.

Still no place to work on my camper got til nxt weekend to move it :(

Yeh from the council but 3 of my neighbours have work vans that are dumped down the road. Found place but looking at £300 a month and its 15mins away.

After a lot of hard work got my van into my garage, couldnt belive it fits. Now the major work can begin!

Latest posts