My fuel gauge is off...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coda

Reaction score
Since buying the bus I’ve filled it to the brim a couple times and noticed that the gauge reads just over 3/4. I ran it down to just between R and 1/4’ish and when i filled it again it took only 35 litres which means it was just a bit under half full (60 litre tank?).
I am wondering if these symptoms mean that its either the gauge or the sender that needs looking at, but which one? (Or both!?)
Thanks.

Just remember it is only a fuel ‘ gauge’ and not an accurate meter. They were a little optimistic and vague when brand new but at fifty years old some are a tad eccentric to say the least. You could go on a rampage fitting a new sender ets etc and re wireing the bus because the crimped joints etc but you may do a lot and get varying results. If it didn’t work at all then I’d do something but as it is now, I’d maybe leave it perhaps until you have the motor out and then drain and clean the tank as a starting point. Maybe your van hasn’t been down to reserve or it’s been set or a little stiff around that point where the sender was in one place for a long time, set as in set by rust / corrosion/ old age / arthritis etc etc.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, sender I’m guessing, but poss leck trickery :mrgreen:

Howdy neighbour, a corroded connection will add to resistance also if yours has the voltage reg on gauge in dash they can play up.

Thanks for the insights. I'll have a look at the gauge while I've got the cluster out. I won't be having the engine out this side of autumn but its one of the things I'll do over the winter.

My sender (I think) packed up about a year ago, the needle was all over the place before it finally failed. I just make a note of mileage when I fill up and repeat every 200 miles. I'm planning on cutting a hatch to access the sender, also I'm not sure if my early sender will be compatible with the late clocks I have.

On the back of my cluster there are the 2 wires for the gauge. Can you get replacements as mine are glued on and coming loose? Not seen them on any sites for some reason. Cheers.

I had the same problem and just had to take my time and delicately re glue mine. :shock: :)

J & P
:D :D :D

AGPlant said:
On the back of my cluster there are the 2 wires for the gauge. Can you get replacements as mine are glued on and coming loose? Not seen them on any sites for some reason. Cheers.
We had a discussion this week about these on TLB. I think I need to design something that can be 3D printed. I have one missing so there's some incentive for me :mrgreen:

Latest posts