My lastest project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K@rlos

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Westfalia pop-top
My 1986 BMW 5 series has been laid up for 7 months now with a suspected blown head gasket. yesterday morning i cracked open the tool box :D As i came to cracking off the cylinder head bolts on of them came out without even putting the socket on :cry: Judging my the color of the broken ends of bolt it been snapped a long time :?

what a bastard.....

What have you got? 4 or 6 pot?
Used to have a later shape 530i, was a propper animal :mrgreen:
Have you got the head off yet as you may be able to get the broken studs out with stilsons. If they snapped flush with the block face you will need a new motor at a guess. Also water sitting in the bores will probably have killed the rings/bores aswell :( . All doom and gloom i guess. Shouldnt have to much trouble getting another motor for it though, ebay or a BMW dissmantlers?
Cool car though.

:mrgreen: This thread is useless without pix :mrgreen:

Rich

its a straight 6 8) the bolt was flush with the block but i drilled a tiny hole in the stud, took the handle off a chisel and hammered the pointed end of the chisel into the hole, got a pair of mole grips on the chisel and slowley wound it out.
The bores and rings are in perfect condition, when it first went, i took the plugs out and span it over to blast the water out of the holes then soaked the bores in WD-40. I'm just hoping the alloy head ain't fucked :? But fingers crossed huh :)

mjknight71 said:
Westy Richardson said:
then soaked the bores in WD-40.

why? :shock:

That is what i was taught to do at work if an engine is to be laid up for a long time after getting water in the cylinders.

I'm just hoping the alloy head ain't fucked :? But fingers crossed huh :)[/quote]
Good luck. Cool classic 8)

Westy Richardson said:
mjknight71 said:
Westy Richardson said:
then soaked the bores in WD-40.

why? :shock:

That is what i was taught to do at work if an engine is to be laid up for a long time after getting water in the cylinders.

:shock: I could understand putting a mineral oil into cylinders but WD-40.....the clue in part is in the name...but it is after 40 the problems start :evil: as with life :lol: so i am told anyway ;)

...hope it is ok

Hoosier said:
I'm just hoping the alloy head ain't fucked :? But fingers crossed huh :)
Good luck. Cool classic 8)[/quote]

cheers man :) i praying that at most i'll have to just have it skimmed :?

I'm looking for some jenvey throttle bodies for it if anybody has some ?......... :D

Latest posts