My Van Fire, Please learn the lessons.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallyvan

Reaction score
Well, after 4 years of searching this forum for parts, receiving fantastic advice and generally enjoying the scene the unforeseen happened. My van engine burst into flames and the 1969 Dormobile was written off.

I read many articles advising the installation of a fire extinguisher but always thought “it won’t happen to me”

It did. I cant recover the van but hopefully I can pass on this painful advice to all...

“Please install a fire extinguisher before it’s too late!”

I have one or two bits I’ll be listing for sale that we’re saved it the buy sell section of this forum. Please take a look, make a sensible offer and give them a good home!

Sounds awful, sorry to hear this... I was thinking of installing one, but like you I put it way down on this list of things to do as it "won't happen to me"!

Is this type of system OK?

https://www.vwaircooledworks.co.uk/Fire-Extinguisher-System.html

Seems straightforward to install.

Sorry for your loss - I have one ready to fit when ready to roll the van.

fallingoffalot said:
gninnam said:
Sorry for your loss - I have one ready to fit when ready to roll the van.

Which one did you get?

Hmm - bought many years ago (from the VZI forum site It hink) - uses a standard extinguisher but with an attached pipe which you route over the engine as most of the others do!
Probably need to replace it as more than likely past it's sell-buy date!!! :msn4:

For some reason I cant post up the pictures - its says board quota reached. any ideas??

Oh man! Really sorry! Glad you guys are alright.
Did you have your fuel filter in the engine bay?

I've got my filter outside the engine bay and a extinguisher tube mounted above the engine not sure if that'll do anything if it catches fire withe the rubber fuel hoses there though.
Wanted to go for a camping trip this weekend but took the car as it was soo hot and I was worried of overheating.
Hope you will get back behind the wheel of an earlybay.
All the best!

Just had a quote back from Firetrace, there system for a 1kg bottle - recommended for a bus with a firewall - is £200 for the kit which includes 3m of detection tube, or £240 for 2kg system with 5m of detection tube.

https://www.firetrace.co.uk/applications/motor-vehicle-fire-suppression-system

It's a different system from the AIrcooledWorks one mentioned above in that it's powder and it's sprayed from the detection tubing. Anyone any experience of this one?

Really saddened to read this fella, hope everyone was ok and that you manage to either salvage the van or are able to sort a replacement.

c42912780dfed0188039eb09bfad061c.jpg

I have a Mabo Flamark system that sits directly above the engine on a bracket, I bought it on the strength of the demonstration videos, of course I hope it never has to activate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fallingoffalot said:
It's a different system from the AIrcooledWorks one mentioned above in that it's powder and it's sprayed from the detection tubing. Anyone any experience of this one?

I think the issue with the powder ones is the mess afterwards, it would create a lot of work, sure not as much as a burnt out bus, however if you can achieve extinguishing the fire in a 'clean' way, I would assume that is an advantage. :?

Which works best? No idea. :|