Narowed beams

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSG

Reaction score
Hi all,

Normally i frequent the late bay, but i do pop over here every now and then. Ive had 2 late bays and a t25 in the past 4 years and learned everything i have done, and never outsourced to make it easier. So i am hands on basically.

Anyway at TLB they have advised me to come here to get better info on lowering my front end, and i would also like to narrow it. think i want to go 4" narrowed.

You guys are well known for lowering your earlys, and i would like to ask for some info on what to do.
I have a 1979 oregon import (i know it doesnt get too much later that that, sorry) and i want to slam it. This bus will finally be a keeper, my daily.
I am quite familiar with how the rear setup works, although only by way of adjustable spring plates, and i found out about horseshoes the other day so that has kinda thrown a spanner in the works.

Basically i want to go as low as i can before tubbing, and then i can work on tubs later. Going to hunt for a second hand beam, not sure how often they come up, and then dropped spindles. Although i have seen Wagenswest do a well priced 'slam kit' for a late, but then import tax would probably just ruin my life.

Any positive advice is welcome, and thanks in advance for bothering to reply if you do.

Many thanks

PSG

4" narrowed is a bit excessive IMO (But each to their own)

I run a Weedeater beam with drop spindles can highly recommend it, Nice and comfy ride and about as loww as you can go without tubs and notches:

http://www.creative-engineering.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=29&category_id=25&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC405310/dropped-spindles-t2-68-79-6cm-drop-all-new/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

61012_10150262286070444_8093584_n.jpg

Hope that helps a little.

Alex's bus sits really nice I think but it's all about what look & stance your after...

Mine: 6" narrowed king & link pin beam with adjusters (home made) dropped spindles, narrowed trailing arms and slam shocks up front with adjustable spring plates and coilovers at the back. Notched and soon to be tubbed

Mine is somewhere in-between Alex's & Karlos's in terms of beam width, 4" narrowed beam and 2.5" drop spindles from frenchslammer (vintage autohaus) up front and adjustable spring plates at the back. Its not tubbed or notched, and I drive it everywhere all year round.

@Mister, that is pretty similar to how i would like it to sit.

I was thinking 4" narrowed anyway, 6" for me looks too tucked, however still a good look.

So what did you do? did you fit the beam yourself or send it off?

I would like to do it myself really.

Psg

Mines a 4 inch narrowed beam

Wheel choice makes a big visual difference remember, mine are 4.5 front rims with a decent offset.

Otherwise it's adjusters, dropped spindles, coil overs and adjustable spring plates at the rear. No tubs or notches.

Without tubs, FrenchSlammer seem like a good bet!
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57038" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Midland Early Bay are the UK supplier: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=59811" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I fitted it myself on my drive way then got it notched by a mate

PSG said:
@Mister, that is pretty similar to how i would like it to sit.

I was thinking 4" narrowed anyway, 6" for me looks too tucked, however still a good look.

So what did you do? did you fit the beam yourself or send it off?

I would like to do it myself really.

Psg

As Gvee said, Graham at Midland Early bay supplies and fits if needed.... I needed

Have a look at the Vintage Autohaus gallery thread for some cool looking buses 8)

Davydomes said:
run a Weedeater beam with drop spindles can highly recommend it, Nice and comfy ride and about as loww as you can go without tubs and notches:

I like that - what did you do at the rear? Spring Plates/Shoes/Splines?

Mine is just a set of adjustable spring plates on a two outer spline drop (think may have been 1 or 2 inners too I cant remember), nothing more complicated than that.

Can you explain what the inner and outers are for me Alex?

Clem said:
Mines a 4 inch narrowed beam

Wheel choice makes a big visual difference remember, mine are 4.5 front rims with a decent offset.

Otherwise it's adjusters, dropped spindles, coil overs and adjustable spring plates at the rear. No tubs or notches.

Love the stance on Clems looks just right ,ive gone for TD2 3inch beam dropped spindles adjustable springplates , dampers need to be sorted yet could be a trial & error job :roll:

PSG said:
Can you explain what the inner and outers are for me Alex?

T2-05-P28-1.jpg

I am no mechanic so excuse my dumbed down explanation but its how I understand it.

Number five on this picture is the Sprung bar which effectively gives your van suspension.

The Number six is the spring plate.

Number five is splined on the outer end (so spring plate end) and also the inner end (centre of the van). When removing the spring plate, before removal you paint a line accross the open end of the spring plate so there is a lined up mark on the spring bar and the spring plate. When removing you tap the centre so sprung bar towards the centre of the van as you pull off the spring plate. If you just pulled the spring plate off and the sprung bar came all the way out too you will have no reference point as to what changes you have made.

I think the inners are small adjustments and the outers are small. (Think being the optimum word)

So start with outer spline adjustments.

I am sure someone that has done this more recently than me (6 years ago) will come along and correct my innacuracies but hopefully that will give you more of an idea.

Cheers

Alex

69 Westy said:
dampers need to be sorted yet could be a trial & error job :roll:

Get the vehicle back on all its wheels once you have done your mods, with all the weight in the van so engine, box, interior, etc, etc. Then push the van forward and back to help the suspension settle (after being jacked up). Then climb under and measure from the centre to centre of the mounting bolt holes, take an average from the front and a seperate one for the rear.

Use that measurement to pitch in the centre of the travel of a shock absorber. this will prevent you going for a shock that will top or bottom out, hence ensuring you get a more comfortable ride and dont prematurely wear out your shocks.

Hope this helps.

As has already been mentioned we are the UK Stockist of the French Slammer beams, Spring plates etc from Vintage Autohaus.

The beams come in either 11cm or 8cm (just over 4" and just over 3") but the dropped spindles add 10mm back each side so you end up with an 9cm narrowed beam or a 6cm narrowed beam.

As as already been mentioned the wheels you choose have a big difference on how tucked it will look, feel free to give me a call to have a chat or drop me an email at [email protected].

Our own bus has just been fitted with an 11cm beam and is available for test drives. Not the best of pictures but you get the idea, still got to swop the rims on the rear.
Spec is 11cm narrowed beam, Drum Dropped Spindles, KYB Gas Adjust Dampers, on the rear Adjustable Rear Spring plates (no spline drop) and KYB Gas Adjust dampers.

just our of interest, is there a huge difference between late and early beams? and what transfers from old beam to new beam if you change out for a narrowed beam?

No difference at all, the French Slammer beams fit both earlies and lates. With the FS set up nothing transfers over as it comes as a complete set up with modified leaves, new bearings, new steering pin, steering arm, new damper, new ball joints, modified lower arms for damper clearance, new tie rods etc etc, basically you then decide what drop spindles you need so iif it's a late bay then late bay dropped spindles.

With some other suppliers they supply just the beam and everything else is extra.

Looks like this 8)

Heres a late bay running a French Slammer set up from the French Bus meet at Fley in August

The complete beam package is £1120 outright or £975 Exchange if we take your old beam, Dropped spindles are £495 or £450 exchange, Rear Spring plates are £245. If you look at buying a package then we can do a deal on it, We also offer a fitting service where as well as fitting we check camber, tracking etc so you drive away with a bus ready to go.

Bear in mind that you might need to factor in new tyres as well.

Latest posts