Near Side Rear Brake Drum Binding - advice please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpt scarlett

Reaction score
Need some advice, I have a crossover so disks on the front and drums on the back. The issue I have is on any journey over a few miles the near side rear drum binds on to the point where the van has trouble pulling away.

I have changed the cylinders on both sides, replaced the shoes and the springs and adjusted them correctly but I still get the issue. Any suggestions before I go on a long drive and let is burst into flames

Cheers

I'm far from an expert but have previously read on here that possibly your brake drum could be 'ovalled' or maybe your flexi brake pipe has collapsed inside.
Like I say, I'm no expert :roll:

Thanks for the response, I will check the hoses tonight and swap the drums over and see if that makes any difference.

It seems to me that the cylinder is not returning when I use the foot brake, so every time I brake while driving the n/s drum gets tighter and tighter so any ideas what would cause that

Cheers

It sounds like hoses collapsing to me.

Its hard to tell from looking at the hoses so unless there quite new i would replace them, best do both sides.

It seem to be a common problem, i had it happen to the front of my bay and have the same problem with beetles several times over the years.

What drums did you use ? I want to replace both my rear drums, pads springs etc over this winter but have had real trouble finding out which parts fit the crossover bays. Is it reasonable to change the back plate and then put in a late bay set - up ??

Thanks for the advise guys, I will change the hoses tonight and see if that resolves the issue

pillpopper I ordered all the parts from GSF online, if you use CC20 discount code you get 20% off

rear drums - 600VG0020
rear shoes - 631VG0070
fitting kit (springs and bits) - 625VG0140
rear cylinders - 654VG0150

no need to replace the backplates unless they are really corroded

cheers

Latest posts