Nearside engine mounting bolt.... bah!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottom rung

Reaction score
I want to remove the 1600tp engine from my 68 dormobile, but I've run into a bit of a problem. Whenever I have done engine swaps in the past in beetles, I used to remove the inlet, dynamo and fan housing to make access to the top engine mounts easier. You can't take the fan housing off a bus with the engine in situ due to the low ceiling in the engine bay. Also, I can't remove the tinware over the gearbox as the doghouse feed threads through it and I cannot remove it. I am having a nightmare trying to get the top nearside mount bolt out as access looks pretty restricted from underneath as well. Anyone done this already? I am assuming I am going to have to go up from underneath, but I can barely get my fingers on the bolt, let alone a spanner. I have the heat exchanger mounting nuts steeping in wd40 ready just in case they have to be removed. I have tried every combination of arm routes and body positions under that bus that I can think of. Surely there must be a straightforward way of doing this?

I had this same problem :) Put up a "Help Wanted" in the tech forum and 3 fantastic gents came over and sorted it for me :)

Seriously, having partially watched Westy Richardson and Ooro (Grazy was helping me hold the broom) getting the motoro out of Mollie, it's possible with a socket and extension. Not sure if they had to use a swivel / UJ thingie too

Hope that helps :)

Latest posts