Need help building 1641 engine.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugcouple68

Reaction score
I am just about to start re-building my bay engine, i have a 1300tp engine spare and wanted to know if it would be ok to fit 1641 B&P, eagle w100 cam and twin carbs?
Is there anything else i can do to get a-little more power out of it?
Was thinking of rockers etc? will i need to up rate them?
Any more advice would be appreciated as this is the first re-build i will have done!

As you prob already know, you will need 1600 heads also.

I wouldnt personally go for 1641, ive heard many people say that for a bus its best to stick with the 1600 B&P's due to the thickest of the walls - more heat. Pay for some good quality 1600 Mahle ones.

This aside ive read about a few people running 1641's in buses no probs......your decision i guess ;) prob worth going for full flow oil cooling if you do i reckon.

As for cam, im pretty sure the W110 is a better option for a bus, slightly lower end torque.

Rockers 1.25 rockers would team up well with a mild cam, stick to a 100 or 110 and you can use your standard push rods.

Whats the condition of the bottom end of the block you have? end float etc?

I asked about cams when rebuilding my 1641. The thread is here: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35703" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope it helps!

If your gonna strip that engine right down it would be worth going 1776 tbh, bit more guff and thicker walled cylinders.

When my piston rings started blowing, I bolted a set of 1641 B&P's to the stock 1500 SP bottom end, added a pair of DP 1600 heads I had lying around and topped it off with a pair of 36 dells suitably jetted. Didn't even break the case to check anything!

I converted to dog house cooling and fitted genuine cylinder tinware (with type 3 cool tins instead of the stock lower stuff) and it runs great. Maybe a bit hotter than normal after a hard motorway run but you can still hold the dipstick comfortably ;)

Someone will probably tell me I broke a zillion rules of engine building doing this but its still going 2 years later. Hopefully well enough to get me from Cornwall to Sandown next week and then back down to Mallorca the week after :msn4:

edit: oops, thats in my 65 crewcab btw, not my westy. The westy has a 1776 with type 4 oil cooling and that runs cool aswell ;)

Latest posts