New accidental early bay owner

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been a strange 9 months and in that time I've been overwhelmed at the cost of parts etc. I'm determined to do it with minimal budget. I have even taught myself to using sewing machine and woodwork. I replaced the the front cupboards with my own creations, retrimmed the rear seats and fitted a solar panel. There's been a lot more work than that in between, including quite a few repairs. I wish I wasn't such a perfectionist as it would be done a lot quicker.

After waiting an age for lockdown to ease I spent the week travelling north Yorkshire and it performed admirably but on the way home started backfiring. Now it's a bugger to start and keep running along with bogging down and loss of power so need to look into it but I'm not great with carburettor setting up

Carbs are funny beasts that I still don't fully understand (despite rebuilding a few in the past 😅). Because of this I'd focus on the other things that can contribute to the problem you have described, first.

Start with checking the exhaust system (including heat exchangers) for leaks.

Then I'd check the timing.

gvee said:
Carbs are funny beasts that I still don't fully understand (despite rebuilding a few in the past 😅). Because of this I'd focus on the other things that can contribute to the problem you have described, first.

Start with checking the exhaust system (including heat exchangers) for leaks.

Then I'd check the timing.

Thanx I found holes in both heat exchangers where they connect to the exhaust. They are both now welded up and exhaust clamps put on. I have checked and tripple check valve gaps and timing static to 7.5 degree with multimeter. I will give the carburettor a good blow out and clean see if it's back to normal.

That looks very, very tidy!

How do you find opening the slider from the inside with the sink unit in situ?

Cheers mate I have worked hard but sometimes feels like pushing water uphill.

I can reach just fine I use the frame to slide it shut.

Just looking at a new carb but dunno if I should risk it or not, it's a solex style carb upgrade (keep it simple) https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/113129031k39-carburettor-39-pict.html

Hang on a minute before you start throwing money at it and muddying the waters. Check your fuel pump output using an empty water bottle and that’s free, when was your last points and condenser? What sort of ignition do you have ? What are you setting your valve clearances at? Have you changed any plugs recently? Have you tried changing your plugs one at a time ? Have you tried taking the plug leads off one at a time to see if it alters or stays the same.

Ozziedog,,,,, freebies first of course :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
Hang on a minute before you start throwing money at it and muddying the waters. Check your fuel pump output using an empty water bottle and that’s free, when was your last points and condenser? What sort of ignition do you have ? What are you setting your valve clearances at? Have you changed any plugs recently? Have you tried changing your plugs one at a time ? Have you tried taking the plug leads off one at a time to see if it alters or stays the same.

Ozziedog,,,,, freebies first of course :mrgreen:

Thanx mate, I have checked the valves set to 0.15mm, new spark plugs set to 0.70mm, new points set to 0.40mm and condenser. I have an electric fuel pump with a filter unit I can change the fuel pressure on and thats set to 2psi. I have not tried changing plugs leads one at a time because the leads are brand new as well.

It's a 1776cc engine with cb heads and 100 engle cam

Engines only done 8k but I did a compression test and it's fine

Oh and my current Carb is a weber progressive 32/36

That Webber carb is fairly bullet proof but does need 4psi . check float level and give it a good clean. Also check you have no air leaks on intake or if you have one the servo .

I have fitted a new carb and it's better than the Weber, it's a big bore 39 pict and actually goes really well

I also removed the pop top canvas ready for its new one (Don't do it in flip flops like I did, bloody staple in me foot na)

IMG20210701105429.jpg

IMG20210701184006.jpg

Latest posts